OTR Equipment

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by AF461, Oct 18, 2010.

1. AF461

AF461 Medium Load Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Dover, DE
    Can anyone that drives OTR for Con-way tell me what kind of equipment they have? Also, do they APU's in the truck? I have sleep apnea and am trying to figure out what companies to look at.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sookie

sookie Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    No apu's....but they will put an inverter in for you!
    Con-way is a great company! We made the switch from KLLM and have been very pleased with them!

wulfman75 and AF461 Thank this.
  4. AF461

AF461 Medium Load Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Dover, DE
    Thanks for the response! How have the miles been? What kind of trucks do they have? How is the pay?

Thanks again!

5. westcoast

westcoast Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2010
    los angeles, ca
    for now, I only see a few with apu. They were saying, they will have more apu put in the truck in the fulture especailly for the solo driver. I myself avrage about 2600 to 2700. I cant think of a time when I have less then 2k miles in the months. Just dont refused any load and be safe and on time for p/u and delery. you will do fine. They use Kent-worth and fgrth(cascadia) 13spd. I see some Volve still around but they no longer buy the new one. If you drive solo most likely you going to get Kent-worth T-600. 13spd. On paid, you will get more acurate answer from your recruiter. Home times is 1 days off for 7 days out. How ever you can keep your days off if you not using them. Example, If you stay out 28 days and go home and only take 3 day off. You can bank that 1 days that you didnt used. So now, when you go out for another 28 days you now have 5 days off available to you. You also have your holidays pay, quarter safety bonus, 1 week of pay vacation base on your avrge miles per year not the flat $300 or $400 like some company out there used. Their multi stop paid $35 much better then some company out there. Hazmat and northeast r xtra pay also. So all these will ad up.

AF461 Thanks this.
  6. AF461

AF461 Medium Load Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Dover, DE
    That was a great post! How long have you been with them? I've been watching Con-Way for 2 years now and they seem like an awesome company. How is your home time? Will they get you home when you want or close to? I have a wife and 4 kids and I need to see them atleast everyother weekend.

7. westcoast

westcoast Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2010
    los angeles, ca
    for otr, most like 14 at least if you want to make money. OTR some time we have to make a commitment to stay out littles longer. I myself have family and 2 kids. So I know where you come from. On the site, they say you can start your hometime when you r out 7days and you can start hi-lite home. Depend on where you live, I live in Southern California, so when I want to go home, I start sending my hi-lite at least 8 days ahead. My first 7 months I try to take 3day for every 28 out. so i start to build my days of when i needed. Pay attention to the holidays like thankgiving, christmas etc. if you want to take off. Usually they can get you home ok, but like i said it depend on where you live. I heard the northwest where it little more challenging to get you home. Correction on 2years withem. I was thinking I been driving for only 2yrs, but with them just little over a years. They currently give me a local position gig in Southern Ca. Dont know how long it would last but i sure enjoy it for now. Down the line, when you with them. Sometime they will post position for regional or local work and you want to let them know you interesting in doing it. You will learn to adjust how to Hi-LITE your hometime once you out there a cuople months. You need to look for the place to park your tractor with approval before they hi-lite you home. That why first month usually take abite of work. After you establish the parking situation, your home time will be smoother.

AF461 Thanks this.
  8. AF461

AF461 Medium Load Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Dover, DE
    I would be up to 14 days out and every other weekend off if I could get that. Being that both my wife and I are military she understands that I will have to get out for at least a year before I can get a good paying local job. I have busted my ### in the Air Force because I loved it. I plan on doing the same in this job. I have become numb to bull #### do to the politics of the AF, so i'm sure I can get past it in the trucking industry. Con-Way seems to be an outstanding company for sure.

If your ever in Delaware, look me up and I'll buy you some dinner. It would be nice to meet someone from Con-Way in person and talk about the company and what to expect. For now, I'll just keep talking to y'all here.

Take care and drive safe!!!!

9. Pinoy51563

Pinoy51563 Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Ewa Beach,Hawaii
    They only have a few trucks with APU's. But they said they will not get them anymore due to driver abuse so that is what they told me. I get 2500 mile a week on average. But I run Regional on the South West.

10. wulfman75

wulfman75 Road Train Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    As long as I can take my dog I'd be out for a month easily. :)

11. rob11XX

rob11XX Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2010
    This is what originally turned me on to Con-Way, I can't wait...the dog loves the road.

wulfman75 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.