Otr to local. Night shift??

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Slim51, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Slim51

Slim51 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Maine
    I currently haul tanker otr. Usually gone 7-14 days and off 3 give or take. Since the start of 2018 I’ve averaged about 1120/wk gross. This is lower than expected but I’ve had more hometime than expected, which I enjoy.

I have a wife and 2 young kids with another on the way for October. Everything goes well on the homefront for the most part. Only problem is I find myself wishing I was home to see my kids more and more. That being said I’ve kept my eye out for good local gigs but, living where I do, it’s slim pickings. Within a 30 min drive I’ve got a couple construction companies and oil/propane delivery. Any gas/diesel hauler is 50+ minutes from me.

I recently started talking with a guy who has a small fleet of a dozen or so w900s hauling water from springs to bottling plant. He parks his trucks 20 minutes from my house. Year round, 50-60 hrs a week, 5 days a week with a 6th if wanted, pays $22/hr days and $24/hr nights. Time and a half after 40hrs. He has benefits but no health insurance. For a middle of the road health insurance plan I’m looking at around $900/month. Everything checks out and looks good from what I can tell.

What I want is to hear from guys who have experience running nights, and how you handled that with family life, etc. Of course any other input on the situation is always appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Slim51

Slim51 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Maine
    Also, my kids are too young for school and my wife only works a couple hours in the evening.

deathB4decaf and lynchy Thank this.
  4. AlexFromMD

AlexFromMD Light Load Member

May 18, 2015
    That no insurance would be a deal breaker for me. I couldn’t imagine a baby delivery bill out of pocket. Maybe once the he or she is born your wife takes on a job for a family insurance plan.

bottomdumpin Thanks this.
  5. Slim51

Slim51 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Maine
    Because we are using a midwife, we have to pay out of pocket initially as it is, then hopefully get a reimbursement of some sort. We will look into health plan options more this weekend when I get home to find one that hopefully works with midwives. But it’s definately a big factor....

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    06driver Thanks this.
  7. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    I drive a yard truck thirds. Now, I don't have kids, yet, but I am married. It can be hard cause my wife works early in the morning, she has to be there at 4 am, and gets home by noon. She wakes ke up. We eat and then hangup and go from there.

I would take the night shift gig myself. By them time your off your kid is getting up for school. You will see them in the afternoon. My dad did that shift for a long time.

As far as the medical insurance, look into Medishare. Might be something worth looking into.

bentstrider83, Chinatown and Slim51 Thank this.
  8. Slim51

Slim51 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Maine
    I am not, appreciate the advice though.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. Slim51

Slim51 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Maine
    I’ll look into that medishare. I’ll talk to the owner in person this weekend hopefully and get a real idea of what the schedule options are. It sounded like it could be flexible, so maybe I could start on nights to see how it works.

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  10. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    It's worth a shot. You can always go back otr.

Slim51 Thanks this.
  11. Slim51

Slim51 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Maine
    My thoughts exactly. Although I’m so ready to settle in long term somewhere... I hate changing jobs lol

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.