Otr to local. Night shift??

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Slim51, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Silent farms

Silent farms Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2018
    Good morning driver..congratulations on the new baby to come
    I too was OTR/ OO for over 20 years.. and couple of years ago i did jumped to a local delivery, grossing 1200 plus a week.. in connecticut, not to bad..OO seens to bring more money, but at the end.. brokers and.trucking companies take a bigger cut.
    Any way it depends on where you live. Local.night or day home everyday is a bills.pay job, consider day and night with family its hard to sleep during day, specially with kids.. if youre in CT. Is a bunch o companies offering 20,00 plus an hour... just be carefull of what you arw walking to.
    Small companies seens to be the best call. But it is a dead end job, bigger companies you may have the opportunity to grow..something to tjink about.

Slim51 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Silent farms

Jun 21, 2018

4. Silent farms

Jun 21, 2018
    I agree, nights can be hard specially wirh family...day.is a.little more strressfull, ( specially for new england area, i run fromCT to NJ,NY,PA, etc .. isnt for everyone. I prefer very early star. 3/4am. Less traffic and be home before 5 pm, plenty of quality time with my family,

5. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Reality begs to differ, tolerating a nighttime schedule doesn't make you a night owl.

You may have adjusted perfectly well, but there's a difference between people that just on their own prefer being up at night, and those that do it because of other factors (job/finances etc)

The real test is this, if left on your own for 3 months and you could pick any shift for some ludicrous amount of money, would you pick night? Also, how would your days off look? A reflection of your night work schedule? Or would you try and get a day in the sun?

I've never been much of a one for the glowing evil Daystar, heat or being up between 12 noon and 7 at night, unfortunately that doesn't work with school through college or for that matter the rest of life. Because more than 90 % of humans are diurnal, not nocturnal.

6. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I've been running nights for the last 8 years, I start at 730pm. I have two daughters, 8 and 10 years old.

I can only speak of my experience on this.

I ran local for the first ten years of my driving career. My oldest daughter was a year old when I did my short OTR stint. That lasted 2 years, and I hated being away from her. Then the youngest came along and I found this local deal I have now. And I wouldn't trade it for the world right now.

Running local at nights was tough at first with two young active kids doing their thing while I tried to sleep. It was also tough on my wife, because she stayed home with the kids and basically had to deal with them 24/7. I wasn't much help during the week, because I was working 14 hour days and spent my weekends sleeping.

But it does get better. The kids learned to keep the noise to a dull roar when I'm trying to sleep. They're also in school when I'm home. So they get home around 330pm, I wake up around 4, and we can spend some time as a family. I'm not working nearly as hard now, a 12 hour day is about my Max.

So it isn't too bad really. But, earplugs are your friend if you have kids and wanna sleep during the day.

G13Tomcat and Slim51 Thank this.
  7. Slim51

Slim51 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Maine
    I live in the southern somerset county, ME.

8. Slim51

Slim51 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Maine
    Of course, but we like the area we are in. If/when we move it’ll most likely be in the same general area. It’s just one of the trade offs of living where we do

9. Slim51

Slim51 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Maine
    Thank you for your input! some relatable information in there

10. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    How far are you from Hollis?
    If you are going into water hauling just apply with Nestle direct. Right now they are hiring and the start pay is $25/hr avg #hours a week around 60. They have an opening for M-F night shift which is what I was interested in but decided to stay IC for the time being. You'll make way more money there than working for a subcontractor and eventually get on the day shift. Way better benefits as well, so no need to pay an extra 1000/mo for a private health plan.
    Deleware Express is also looking for a driver to do Searsport to Worcester daily, not sure what the pay is or if they only wanted O/O but that would be a home daily gig.

Slim51 Thanks this.
  11. Slim51

Slim51 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Maine
    I’m about 2.5 hrs from Hollis, 1.5!from sears port. I’m about an hour from the Kingfield facility. This job is tempting for several reasons, but a big one is how it compares to other local jobs near me. There’s not much happening outside of log trucks, construction, and oil delivery. For good paying jobs it’s OTR/regional or the random and very unusual local gig

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.