Over height question

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by God prefers Diesels, Sep 4, 2021.

1. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    In defense of your friend. They were legal until entering Missouri. My experience. Most scales are closed at night over weekends in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana.
    Not sure about Missouri or Michigan. Iowa doesn't require a route under 14' when using an annual permit.

Plastic pipe against cement/steel bridge. Not much damage to structure. Maybe a powder spot where the plastic pipe disintegrates. When in doubt hammer down, duck and don't look back.
    Good luck.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Makes me want to beat my head against a wall in frustration. I've always "planned the work, and worked the plan"

I asked if it was under 13' 6". Guy said yes. Plus if they run this same exact configuration since forever, then why wouldn't it be? Right?

Wrong.

I was already pissed off because they wouldn't let me tarp on their property. I said we need to take the load off my truck then. They panicked and said, no no, we can just fork off that bunk and bungee a bag in front of it. Alright, easy enough. Proceed.

Basically I dropped the ball.

4. stuckinthemud

stuckinthemud Medium Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Bundle might break, heard tales of pvc pipe sliding out bundles that was not broken, even strapped down, it was smaller diameter pipe though and slightly cold

cke and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  5. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for your 'friend'. We are only human, regardless of how vigilant we try to be, it unfortunately happens we miss the mark. Hopefully this incident only leads to much worrying and nothing else.
    On the plus side, it's these things that really help improve consistency and attention to detail in all our seemingly routine tasks that in reality are seldom as routine as we think they should be!

cke, Nostalgic and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  6. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    The last paragraph was a weak attempt at humor. Please don't do that.

GPD. It's been 10 years since I ran high loads dedicated. Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Occasionally long out to South Dakota and Washington state.
    The only question I have about the route you suggest is the Scales.
    And the last time I was around St. Louis, there was construction on the 270 in Illinois. Width restriction not height. Also truck lanes are restricted in Missouri.

7. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I've scoped them out. There's four from here to there. I'm going to run night ops. I've only got 650 miles to go.

Edit: Hammer says they're all four closed. Not the Gospel, but promising.

beastr123 and xsetra Thank this.
  8. Jjiimm

Jjiimm Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2021
    Trucker path app

9. Jjiimm

Jjiimm Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2021
    Need drop 4" on trailer air bags & tires

10. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    I run around 13’6”ish plenty. As long as you stay off the t-pike, which they won’t let you on anyhow and I would take 275 to 696 back to 75 around Detroit. Last time I was out there about 5 months ago I was a little worried about a few overpasses in the construction on 75 and definitely NO 94 or 96!! Like was said above they’re a little low around Romulus and East.

11. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    First off, Missouri is 14’ on interstate,
    Illinois and Indiana will not be a problem.
    You can probably get 2” by bending the rod on the leveling valve or loosen it and and slide the rod.
    Any bridge low enough to worry about will be marked.
    Get it to 13’8” and should be ok, may have problems as he gets in city to deliver. Michigan is a bad state for real tall loads.

12 off I69 is the high route
    Don’t go thru Detroit on 75 downtown may get interesting,

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.