over speed policy ( central drivers )

Discussion in 'Central Refrigerated' started by tangerineGT, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Lone Ranger 13

Lone Ranger 13 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    Yes. Better to quit before there is a problem. But some companies are getting ridiculous.

tangerineGT and icsheeple Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tangerineGT

tangerineGT Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Red Lion , PA
    Its all to save a few pennies at everyone else's expense , but you still have to be on time going slow . Lol

Its either fuel reasons or insurance reasons . Not sure witch one ?

4. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Most megas are ok with up to 70 obviously descending. I'd hate to be held to less than 70 on a downslope. Without momentum to hit the up slopes must really sux for you guys.

tangerineGT Thanks this.
  5. tangerineGT

Aug 26, 2013
    Red Lion , PA
    I know every couple mph , helps on that next up hill battle .. lol

6. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Do you guys understand the physics of pulling a trailer? Because based on what I see here most of you don't appear to have a solid grasp on the basics.

Moosetek13 Thanks this.
  7. tangerineGT

Aug 26, 2013
    Red Lion , PA
    Nope , you should give us all a lesson . Then I will ask how it has anything to do with my origanal post ? Lol

8. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

It doesn't save the company money, they have that policy for L/O as well, and we pay for our own fuel...

Personally I think it's two fold... 1) It's about maintaining control of the truck. Not saying letting the truck gather speed for the next rise or even letting it coast IN GEAR that you're not in control... Just that is what THEY can claim. 2) Swift/Central does have many drivers that are new to newer. Giving them the leeway to gather speed can lead to accidents... OK make it three fold... And three, IF they want a reason to let you go, it can be one of them... If they even need one.

9. tangerineGT

Aug 26, 2013
    Red Lion , PA
    Oh yea , thats right o/o have that too.

Its funny tho because my truck when the engine isn't under a load going down hill , will go into this thing called E Econ witch basically it goes into neutral , rpms go down to idle , up until you get to 64 then kicks back up engine brake comes on and slows u down at 65 .
    Thats probably how I get such good fuel millage . Half the time I skip fuel stops unless I need def or reefer fuel .

I guess I could see the guy coming right out of school going down hill at 80 and if allowed you know they would , could be a bad thing ..
    idk tho , I think most of our drivers seem to have a majority of there problems in parking lots and on slower roads. Lol
    with the exception of some ...

10. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    This ... has nothing to do with so they claim ... it's simple physics. If you're not pulling the trailer, you're not in 100% control. And if you're exceeding the governed speed of your tractor, you're just along for the ride ...

Can you get away with, yeah generally. But it's not a risk that Swift wants you to take with their freight or their equipment.

11. tangerineGT

Aug 26, 2013
    Red Lion , PA
    Ok , yea I see the point , but if run right at the governor witch is perfectly ok by them , then tecnically you would not be able to pull the trailer if anything happens either . Right ? Because if your at that speed you can't go any faster . Unless u coast because of momentum. ..

And yea , I know the trailer weighs more and it pushes you . Thats only common sense
    hell half the time they put more weight in that box back then I even weigh empty.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.