Over tightened filters....

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by 6cuda6, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Shawn2130

Shawn2130 Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Ontario
    That happened to my brother in law. He’s a full time auto mechanic.

Forgot to look for the rubber ring for the oil filter on a customer car

Put the new filter on with the old rubber still in place.

Customer called 20 mins later saying the engine light and oil pressure light was on.

He had to drive out with extra oil and a new filter to the customer that’s on bye side of the road.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 6cuda6

6cuda6 Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2020
    Well a 3 foot prybar trough the side of the filter finally gave me enough leverage to loosen the filter.......what a battle

4. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Filters come out a lot easier off of a hot engine. Make sure your engine oil is hot. The only downside is you can get burns from hot oil/filters if you don’t protect yourself.

6cuda6 Thanks this.
  5. CabOverdrive

CabOverdrive Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2023

They do that because they don't want to do it too loose, and then the system sucks air and the driver complains about bad fuel mileage and low power.

6. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    I know its an old post, but thats bs, a short 2" peice of strap, 3 long sheet metal screws and a vice grip pliers does the trick just fine, once you get the vice grip on the strap, put in the sheet metal screws and torque away... using the screws is not my favorite, and its certainly messier, but easily doable and best of all, it works without fancy tooling you may and may not have on the side if the road, but probably have if youre an o/o, and maybe even if you arent

86scotty Thanks this.
  7. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Or just drive a long straight screwdriver all the way through the filter and spin it off.

8. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    PROBABLY safe on a truck, but ive seen pics of people who did that on cars and pierced their engine block (thin aluminum)

86scotty Thanks this.
  9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    My old man had a coolant filter on his truck that some ape must've cinched down with a 10 foot snipe at the factory. Ended up breaking the crimp off the base, so the metal shell just spun loosely. Of course being an ISX that filter is buried inside the frame rail. Ended up taking it to a shop where they cut the shell off and then used an air hammer on the remaining part of the filter to break it loose and spin it off.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024 at 11:19 AM
  10. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Screenshot_20231204_162208_Chrome.jpg

I bought one of these and it will remove any over tightened oil filter. Basic cam design and works fantastic. It's adjustable to many sizes. They sell bigger ones also

loudtom Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.