Overall insight

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by Jay87, Dec 29, 2022.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    To quote that xxxxx, Nancy Reagan,,just say no. While I'd like to "feel your pain", that "pay stub" looks like something the Pentagon drew up, I remember a check with like 3 deductions, 1 of which I'm living on now. I'm convinced, it's made to be difficult, so they can shyster some payment out of you without you knowing. "Bridge maintenance"? Okay, whatever. Just like retirement. What you describe is nothing new, and old timers I'm sure are rolling their eyes, previously settling the dispute with a closed fist. Can't do that, the boss sits wisely in a room behind a screen far away. Same old thing, you want to play, you have to pay, and with so many great company jobs, there's no reason to put up with this. As long as people do, not much will change, especially for folks that "US XPress" types, are their only choice. Can't help you on the whining away from home, c'mon, man, you knew the score, but I do agree, you should be compensated for that, and you clearly aren't. McDonalds is hiring managers , make the same money, and all the Big Macs you can eat. If there ever was a time for Johnny Paycheck, it's here,

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    They only get away with what you're willing to put up with.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  4. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    Don’t ever work a holiday. 99% of the time you will get screwed.

5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @Jay87 --

Since you don't have any endorsements--that kind of limits some of your options.

But all is not lost.

Before you leave the industry--given your nice driving record, I would encourage you to give this carrier an honest try:

Truck Driver Job Types | Drive For Dot | Dot Transportation, Inc. (drivefordti.com)

They will take you as a company driver (which I would recommend for now, in your case)--OR as an owner-op.

This link shows that they have 3 different terminal locations in FL; they also have a DC in Vidalia, GA:

Trucking Company Locations | Drive For Dot | Dot Transportation, Inc. (drivefordti.com)

Pulling reefer loads out of FL is one pretty decent way to survive the recession.

With a carrier like DOT--you probably won't even see it.

If things somehow don't pan out with DOT (they can be pretty picky at times)--check out this carrier (who also does both company drivers, and owner-ops--dry van, or reefer):

Join The Family - Leonards (leonardsexpress.com)

Another Forum member here drives for them out of central Florida, does well--and likes it.

You can be successful as a driver if you really want to be--you just need to be on a winning team. :) :occasion5:

--Lual

ducnut Thanks this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Yep. Dot Foods will have you running Vidalia, GA to all points in FL. $85K-$105K is the usual, for them. Excellent equipment and benefits. Family-owned and -operated. BUT, inward-facing cameras, running on Samsara. Was just talking to one of their CDS drivers, yesterday. He’s been there 8yrs and loves it, doing 4-on/4-off schedule. I was there a few years, myself.

BTW, I’ve run broker loads, this week, because the auto plants are closed for the week (I run car parts). What I’ve earned hasn’t been worth the time or headaches. Never again.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  7. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    You need your settlement to look like this Screenshot_20221229-143608-614.png

ducnut and lual Thank this.
  8. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Touche...!!! :confused: :eek: :D

--Lual

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    I'll admit it's not every load, and this one delivers at a bad time. That's why the rate is so good.

10. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    But, dang it, man! Nice grab.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    It makes me sick to see a guy like the OP struggling to make money when they don't pay much and won't give many miles.

Lonesome and ducnut Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.