Overboard with High Vis clothing

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Verne243, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Budha

Budha Light Load Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Here
    As well as others I pull a belly dump for a local construction company to...we have to wear them at all times as well. Hard hat if you get out of your truck , etc. From what I understood we get a cut on our insurance for the company for having 'safety features' like that to help prevent accidents.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. hamboner

hamboner Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2007
    West TN
    Change.... the only constant in this world! You either adapt and overcome or get left behind!

Lite bug, homeskillet and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. Budha

Budha Light Load Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Here
    Hate to see how he irritated he would get if the company put the in dash cams in his cab like a few are starting to do. Where it monitors the driver and in the cab, not over the hood. We have one local company doing it here and its irritating a bunch of drivers...as stated though...#### changes and you have to as well I guess.

ronjeremyjr Thanks this.
  5. NewbiusErectus

NewbiusErectus Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Oh it's coming, insurance companies are already pushing it by giving discounts for using them. It will be interesting to see if its the final straw that brings back the unions, or if everyone just lays down and gripes.

I've already seen some leaked vids of fatal crashes on YouTube, which seem to get yanked quickly. But once on a computer, it'll always be there waiting to leak.. Driver's families will have to deal with videos of their loved one's head getting crushed -- and being an Internet sensation -- unless of course they're famous like dale Earnhardt and can make sure it's sealed.

6. Going Long

Going Long Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Maryland
    It's just a vest,it wont restrict your movement.

You wont even notice it after awhile,I was like you..didn't want to wear the D*** thing but so use to it now doesn't bother me at all.

Be grateful they don't make you wear full turn out gear.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

hubby has to wear FR's (fire resistant clothing for those of you who dont know)....they are THICK...right now its ok...but in the summer....ugh....long sleeve heavy denim shirts...

the safety vests arent bad...i dont like them either, but you get used to them ....

like mentioed above...some of these guys have to wear some major stuff ...it could be worse...

i have always driven barefoot...now i wear steel toe boots...didnt think i could get used to that....but you do

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    We went to the high vis vests over a year ago.. drivers still cry and whine about wearing them.. I wear one when out on the yard.. there are a lot of other hills I'd choose to die on.. They are not uncomfortable, they are provided and more and more companies are requiring them.. to get upset about them is just rather silly.

Aamcotrans Thanks this.
  9. Eaton18

Eaton18 Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Waverly, KS
    We have safety vests and hard-hats. We're not required to wear them all the time, as we go to a variety of places. Some shippers require that we have the hard-hats on anytime outside the truck, some require hard-hats and safety glasses, and some require the vests. Oddly I've only been to one place that required the vest. Some of these places don't enforce it unless those "safety" people are around.

Just prior to driving, I worked in construction as a heavy equipment operator. You must wear the hard-hats, safety glasses, vests, and steel-toe boots all the time. If you wanted a day-off, unpaid, get caught not wearing them. You do get used to wearing them.

I will say that wearing a vest while driving down an interstate is a little far-reaching. I guess they don't want you to get hit.. :biggrin_25525: I would say that this degree of mandate is so they know you will be wearing it when you arrive and get out of your truck.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. SLANT6

SLANT6 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    The Nut House
    2 things.

1-The company is paying you. They require you to wear a certain item. You either wear it or leave.

2-What is the vest made out of. Some synthetic materials will build up a static charge in cold weather. If you are hauling flammable or around oxygen it could be a concern.

Back in the late 70's early 80's when I drove for Crown Central Petroleum, they gave us winter parkas. They were actually very warm. However they were nylon and movement in and out of the cab would build a static charge. Not good at a gas loading rack. The jackets were replaced with different material.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    It seems that companies go through this every once in awhile. I believe they get a new safety director and they have to come up with new ideas to prove their worth. We went through the safety vests,hardhats, along with all the other stuff too. They even installed the cameras looking at the the driver and over the hood. Anytime we felt we didn't need them or the gear was unsafe we could bring it up at the safety meetings and at least they would look at the problem. Our guys wanted to wear shorts as part of the uniform we wore and it took some talking but the company did see that in the desert heat was a problem. So maybe you can talk with your safety people and convince them of your concerns. Now if you have no safety meetings or channels to go through that just might be a bigger problem.

low fat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.