Overcoming

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by zotoa, Feb 17, 2010.

1. zotoa

zotoa Light Load Member

Oct 30, 2009
    CS Co
    Last year i spent quite a lot of time in researching the trucking industry and decided that I would like to work as a OTR driver. Because I am free from family obligations, I can travel for as long as my employer needs.
    The local Workforce Agency has informed that they need a pre-hire letter from a company before that will pay for my obtaining a CDl.
    Upon inquiring of several companies, I discovered that these companies require me to have been working during the past three years: Which I have not done because I retired ten years ago and have not worked during that period. So, I am in the typical position of needing a job to get a job (in the trucking field).
    So, my question is: Is their any company which will provide with a pre hire letter, so the Workforce center will release the needed funds for truck driving training.
    I have talked to Swift, CR England and some local private companies here in Colorado.
    Money is no objection when it comes to traveling for training: Neither is time!
    My Driving record is clean of all offenses as is my criminal record. Yet, I am unable to find a company which will provide me with the needed prehire letter.

Signed
    Zoto:biggrin_25524:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GoneButNotForgotten

GoneButNotForgotten Heavy Load Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Roxboro, N.C.
    Gee whiz, like you said, the old Catch-22. Just from what I've heard from other drivers (so gauge the validity) most of the so called training companies are very strict concerning work history, even just a few months of unemployment. I guess they are wondering if you were maybe in a Turkish prison or collecting unemployment or disability. As you will see all over this forum, even the bottom feeders have the luxury of being picky these days. I am not aware of any company provividing a pre-hire letter prior to them already having their hooks partially into you. Usually most require a company physical, completion of part of your CDL venture, etc. before they do the pre-hire thing. Also if you are not aware, for the most part a pre-hire letter in the trucking industry just means you are invited to their orientation. No job guarantee,
    The one thing that I did notice was that most of these companies did not care where or what kind of work you did, just that it was legal and you were working. I guess it helps them when acquiring work references. So this being said, you might have to take a job locally, even part time, that does not particularly thrill you in order to get some up to date work history. Good luck to you.

4. JimF

JimF "If you got it, flaunt it"

Jan 29, 2008
    Salisbury NC
    zotoa, when you filled out apps, did you list the unemployed period, and list the work you retired from? Or if you talked to recruiters, did you explain to them?

You also might want to visit some local companies. As gbnf said, a pre-hire letter isn't a job offer, so maybe you could get a local company to give such a letter, just so you could get the tuition money. The local company wouldn't be under any obligation. Try, also, talking to a trucking school. They might be able to get you one from one of the companies that recruit there.

Good luck.

5. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

Your tax returns may be used also.....

6. Kittyfoot

Kittyfoot Crusty Ancient

Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    Main thing they're looking for is to see how long you stayed with your previous employer(s). If you've got any "short period" jobs be sure to list why you left; part-time job expired, summer job while attending school, got caught with the boss' daughter... that kinda thing.:biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.