Overfilled a tanker

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by tmb0507, Nov 15, 2020.

1. tmb0507

tmb0507 Medium Load Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Folkston, GA
    So im fairly new to the fuel hauling game I had a issue last week where my trailer was overfilled at the rack. And I'm trying to figure out how common this is. Also running theory was that that scully system failed caused it never stopped it and also I still had green lights even after emergency shutdown. Have also been told that fuel was left in there based on what the prior customer said but I don't believe that cause it filled to 2940 out of 3000 and only sprayed out 5-10 gallons.

Other reason I'm asking is I'm supposed to start with another company in the coming week and I'm trying to decide on if it needs to be mentioned to them prior company says there not saying anything and the rack is saying once I serve my lockout I'm good so trying to decide if safer to just keep my mouth shut or mention it up front and risk losing a really good job.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Its been a long time since I have hauled a tanker. But the sensor in the top of the compartment should have stopped the transfer of product. The compartment should not have over flowed., even if there was product already in the tank

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  4. drh72

drh72 Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Northeast Minnesota
    I would say your scully system failed. It should have shut it down automatically, but still would have over flowed a little bit into the vapor recovery hose. There probably was some product left in the tank, depending on how old your trailer is, your scully should have told you if you retained any product.

I would not mention a word to your future employer. I don't know anyone who hasn't probed out at least once in their career including me. Keep you mouth shut and good luck with your new job!!

5. Dale thompson

Dale thompson Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2013
    commerce twp,mi
    What rack did you load at that was that slow? When I hauled fuel most loaded 350 to 400 gpm. When I had a scully failure by the time I said oh #### and pushed the emergency stop it was more like 50 to 60 gallons. Loading between 5 and 7 gallons a second you would have to staring at the dome lid with your hand on the stop button to keep the spill that small.

drh72 Thanks this.
  6. tmb0507

Aug 11, 2012
    Folkston, GA
    Thats the thing the scully system showed to retain cause for one I use it by light as a indicator for when each compartment was empty and there wasn't any lights thats the first flag on why it makes no sense. The rack was being tested Friday will find out the results tomorrow and the length of my lockout either 1 week or 2 unless it was something with them.

As far as future employment idk if I go through everything if my lockout will be over before im solo again cause I will have to train and be recarded with their company if I have to tell them not sure what to tell them was told just say it was a trailer system issue at the rack that caused a overfill and leave it at that of I have to tell them

7. tmb0507

Aug 11, 2012
    Folkston, GA
    I still have to do paperwork and a physical and drug screen the following day so may be able to buy me another week so should be able to avoid telling them so I hope

drh72 Thanks this.
  8. tmb0507

Aug 11, 2012
    Folkston, GA
    Buckeye in jax,fl

Dale thompson Thanks this.
  9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Something to think about...You're not the first guy to have a spill and you won't be the last. What happened to you was minor and you caught it quick enough to avoid a real disaster.
    Your new boss will probably find out about it. Truck drivers and plant personnel are worse gossips than little old ladies and news gets around fast. Especially bad news.
    If your new boss is decent at all he'll appreciate being told because he'll figure---and rightfully so---that most drivers learn from mistakes and yours wasn't even your fault.
    If you don't tell him and he finds out later that you lied he may not fire you but he'll never trust you again and if he gets a chance to replace you with another good driver he'll dump you,
    Tell him what happened, tell him just like you've told us. If he gets a wild hair and won't hire you you be better off anyway.
    A good boss knows that #### happens and the driver might be salvageable.. A bad boss just keeps firing people and if that's the way he does things you don't want to work for him anyway

91B20H8, Badmon, Roberts450 and 3 others Thank this.
  10. solitary_con

solitary_con Light Load Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Cook County, IL
    Never had a scully with all green lights fail, something was truly funky there.

Unless they told you this personally, I would inform your new boss. This very well could be a setup by your old company.

snowman1980 Thanks this.
  11. tmb0507

Aug 11, 2012
    Folkston, GA
    Actually I went to the rack directly and spoke to them and have the head guys business card to follow up tomorrow to find out what there test showed and the length of the lockout if any

bzinger and Dale thompson Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.