Overhauled engine

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by pavrom, May 14, 2019.

1. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Yes. You have heard of gliders haven't you?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RET423

RET423 Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    Yeah but if you want it installed you have to buy the CAT truck, which is just an International :)

spsauerland Thanks this.
  4. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    You don't think the rings rotate during engine operation?

Bean Jr. and snowwy Thank this.
  5. spsauerland

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    The 13L engine was an International also and the 15L was C-15 long block with International air management. They have been discontinued for awhile.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  6. RET423

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    The oil rings are 3 piece and grooved to rotate together, this maintains the gap placement on all 3 pieces; if they correct upon assembly they will stay correct and if they are incorrect they will stay incorrect.

That is why most oil consuming engines were built by shops that used piston packs and never pulled them apart to check the gaps, the better shops buy all the parts separately and assemble each hole personally (which is also what I have done for 30 years and I have never built an oil drinking engine)

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. spsauerland

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    To build an exempt glider you have to be on the list that built 300 the prior year, I didn't!

8. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    A dyno allows controlled engine loading. There are other ways to achieve this but a dyno makes it easier.

Ring seating has nothing to do with proper placement of the rings on the piston. It is about matching the rings to the liner to achieve proper clearance. The break in cycle is about literally wearing the rings and liners to fit each other. Granted with the changes to technology they come out of the box a lot closer fit today than they did 20 years ago, but its still not perfect.

Call it old wives tales all you want but there is a reason every one in performance racing engines breaks them in before taking them to the track. I'll keep building my engines the way nascar does it and not the way Billy bob does it.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    spindrift Thanks this.
  9. spsauerland

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Three piece, every Cat (or Cummins and Mack) that I have overhauled has been a two piece oil control ring.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  10. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    No you don't. Stop believing everything you read on three internet. The 300 list applies to turn key dealers like fitzgerald. They are only allowed to sell 300 complete units a year. It doesnt apply to guys like you or me that would buy a glider from the dealer and out it together ourselves to use, not sale.

I keep reading people making similar comments on here even gong so far to say that paccar will no longer produce gliders. Yet when i talk to my local peterbilt about them the response is always "when can we sit down to spec it out".

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. RET423

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    I just noticed that the website Is down, I knew they weren't selling well but I didn't know they gave up entirely.

No big loss I guess, we have 3 of their new loaders and they all have similar issues with the emissions systems that their 2007-2009 on highway engines had; inconsistent regens and the resulting derates.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.