Overkill or no?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by RollinThunderVet, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    05-07 yes 08-09 no....... unless it’s fixed.

RollinThunderVet Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Oh sorry, the pics were of my own axles. I think i just found a decoder for them though. They are 20k axles, .39 thick

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  4. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Not like there's much choice if you want to keep the last 6 as a serial in a 17 digit vin. There's only 1 million numbers possible before having to roll over

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    cke, kylefitzy and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I thought VIN numbers die with the vehicles when they are crushed.

Theoratically you can recycle Vins too dont you think? It will be grosteque to have to have a unique vin, all you are going to do is turn 16 digits into 20 then 24 then 30 as years roll by and millions new vehicles are built

6. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    I said they are repeating the last 6 since they are used as an internal serial number. The other 11 digits all have their own meanings that will change.

If you limit the changes to the year digit only and the last 6 you have at least 36 million possible numbers provided you change nothing else. For each other digit that changes you have 36x more possible VINs. So one more change makes it 1.3 Billion possible combinations. No chance of really running out any time soon.

cke Thanks this.
  7. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    So heres an update
    The trailer being traded in is actually a 40T, not a 45T. So no flip extension on the neck, not even as an addon. Also it has an 11ft neck with a swing of 86".
    Now from the lock mechanism to the edge of my mud flaps is 84" with the 5th slide all the way forward. Problem is I dont know how often I will need to run it all the way up. Also if I do end up adding a lift axle I dont think I'll be able to get the weight up far enough with that short of a neck.

I'm going to keep this truck for at least the next year, so I think the trailer is a good match for the truck as it sits. This will put me at 113,200 max gross. Which should be about 70k load capacity in states that restrict to manufacturer's axle rating.
    For states like GA that only look at tire ratings, I will gain 6k.
    And if I change the trailer tires from 255/70 to 275/70 I can gain an extra 15k in states that allow 25k per axle.
    I gotta start putting together a list.. lol

What do you guys think?

beastr123 Thanks this.
  8. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
  9. JDHIGGINS44

JDHIGGINS44 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Waynesburg, PA
    We run a lot of them in the oilfields, I can't personally say I have ever owned any lowboys, but we run a lot of low drags and 4-5 axle tail roller trailers and they are very well built and hold their value very well on that end.

RollinThunderVet Thanks this.
  10. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    Thanks, dealt with their DOD units before but never for very long. Just got a line on a 2013 55/60ton setup 3+1. It was most likely in oilfield service, looks pretty rough as far as paint. But it appears structurally sound, no bent flanges or crossmembers.

11. JDHIGGINS44

JDHIGGINS44 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Waynesburg, PA
    I wouldn't be concerned about their longevity that's for sure in comparison to some of our other brand trailers they have held up as well or better and seem to be very structurally sound I know we've had our 5 axles well overloaded in times of need and short rig moves and have never damaged anything yet. Lowboy wise we're partial to Fontaine, but I understand in your shoes on the used market you have to find something that fits your needs at the moment. One suggestion if you do buy the trailer and decide to sandblast and paint just budget for new air bags, lines, brake cans, etc. and you will walk out of the deal with essentially brand new trailer at a fraction of the cost.

RollinThunderVet and xsetra Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.