oversize partial ?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by dannythetrucker, May 31, 2013.

1. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    I showed up to pick up my little big load today (hangs 2 ft over one side). The shipper was concerned because I already had a telehandler on the trailer. He didn't think I was supposed to haul anything with an oversize piece. I didn't see the problem, my permit dimensions covered the load. I follow my routing and deliver his part first. I dunno, maybe he was just mad because he thought I should have hauled it cheaper since I was making money on the telehandler as well.

So was I right ? Or, are you supposed to just haul one piece oversized ? Didn't make sense to me, if he had another smaller fan I could surely haul that with the oversize one, so why not something from somewhere else ?

20130531_120641.jpg 20130531_201500.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cluck Cluck

Cluck Cluck LTL Wizard

May 6, 2010
    Dunkirk, Indiana
    id have left it there. If he complained, ask him if he haggles over a bus ticket because there's other people on the bus?

NWMAXI Thanks this.
  4. thedouble

thedouble Light Load Member

Feb 16, 2013
    The triad
    dont see a problem as long as you are not over legal weight

dannythetrucker Thanks this.
  5. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    he wasn't really a dick or anything, he just questioned the legality of it. I didn't but heads with him, I just said it's no problem and assured him my permits were good and his part was coming off first. I think he was just a guy that is proud of his product and wants to micromanage everything. I don't blame him. He was just so ####sure of himself, it make me question maybe he knows something I don't !?

LEAVE IT THERE ??? gheez Chuck, it's paying $3.55/mile by itself and I already had the permits. lol, I wasn't leaving it nowhere except where it's going so I can get paid.

6. dhooks

dhooks Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2012
    ive done a lot of that, probably just sensitive you were making more $ and he thought he was paying for the whole truck lol

7. rodknocker

rodknocker Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Southeast
    We used to charge 2 separate loads for two shipments. Charge standard rate plus 1/2 for oversized under 12 feet. Two oversized loads would have paid approx $6 a mile give or take a few depending what part of the country it delivered to. This was before fuel was $2 gal though

8. BigJls1

BigJls1 Medium Load Member

Dec 25, 2012
    100% legal as long as you were not over gross.

dannythetrucker and SHC Thank this.
  9. Cluck Cluck

Cluck Cluck LTL Wizard

May 6, 2010
    Dunkirk, Indiana
    I totally read your post wrong, you got the right answer, I have a strict "nothing permitted is a partial" policy, I just wish others had the same mentality

10. catalinaflyer

catalinaflyer Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    As long as your permit covers the box dimensions of the largest oversize piece and your legal on every other dimension your good to go. We load 12' wide and 14' wide on the same truck, the 14' is permitted and since the 12' is inside the 14' box dimensions there's no need for a permit on it till the 14' comes off. Legal weight, no front or rear overhang and legal height your good to go.

11. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    Just ain't supposed to have two oversize pcs. on one permit. Since your other piece wasn't oversize, you should be good to go.
    The states that give permits stating "non dimisional load" refers to more than one over size piece.
    I just hauled an oversize excavator with several attachments. But none of the extra attachments were oversize. all good.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.