Overtime laws in MA.

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Cat1, May 27, 2017.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's the anybody can do it that gets me.

Ive always said a monkey can drive that rig, but never thought it will actually get that far.

As far as mass, you walked away from money that is not required topay you. It's not something you get OT in. It's still a class B CDL. Trucking does not get OT.

If we got OT I would have a million dollar mansion etc by now for all the hours worked. And your apples in the market will be 10.00 a pound.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Road Train Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Retired in Taunton Ma
    I worked 4 ten hour days with overtime after the 10 hours , You just have to find the right place. I worked for the federal government. The funny part was that blue collar got overtime and white collar got time off instead of extra money

4. truckersjustice

truckersjustice Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Burnsville, MN
    The transportation is interstate and thus subject to federal law on the issue of overtime. An employer has no obligation to pay overtime to drivers operating in interstate commerce as they are exempt from the overtime provision of the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Cat1 Thanks this.
  5. Cat1

Cat1 Bobtail Member

May 26, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Well, I'm going to fill in the blanks here. I been driving for 24 years. . I have , in the past agreed to drive for percentage and mileage. I did not expect overtime after 40 hours. I took this job. As for one the owner said he would train me to do "tanker work". I was going to pickup home heating oil at the tank farms in Boston and deliver that to fuel depots locally. I would get paid holidays. I was to get health insurance after 60 days. Now, me and this owner agreed to a starting rate of $18.00 an hour with "overtime after 40." That's what we agreed to. This slick did not tell me what kind of overtime. I agreed to what I thought was time and a half. After 3 days of "training on tankers'. I was put to work doing dry van for one of his accounts. Not the job that I agreed to. When I got my first paycheck it was for $17.00 an hour. I went and talked to the boss and said whats this? he said "don't you remember ? You agreed to start at $17.00 an hour for 30 days. Then you will get the 18. I said no , I do not remember saying that at all, After 2 months I got the rate increase. I also saw that he was paying time and a quarter. This was total BS. I agreed to overtime after 40. Not this crap. The holidays. Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years all went unpaid. My health insurance never materialized. After 5 months, not 60 days. So, towards the end of my employment , I started getting days off so that he could work his part timers. That did it for me. This guy lied about everything and the overtime was just one part of the big picture. So, I quit. I filed a complaint with our wonderful Attorney General Maura Healy. But seeing that I am an "exempt employee" there is nothing they can do. I'm done with with.That's it. I have been filing for unemployment benefits now for 14 weeks and Mass unemployment has not made a decision on my claim. I'm looking for work with the dpw, factory jobs ect. So far nothing. I have talked to a few Smith Transport drivers and some flatbed outfit up in Maine called LL Peaslee. Any info on them?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Take the POS to small claims court for the back wages or file with the MA DoL. I don't get why you waited for months to pass, I would have been gone when he said "don't you remember ? You agreed to start at $17.00 an hour for 30 days. Then you will get the 18", I wouldn't have even said goodbye with that crap.

7. Cat1

Cat1 Bobtail Member

May 26, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I,m 60 years old. I don't remember everything. I am for most part done with it. I do not want to deal with it anymore. It's a done deal. I may have to go to an unemployment hearing if he contests my claim. That's hard enough. I am just going to look for another job while I am filing for unemployment.

8. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Road Train Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Retired in Taunton Ma
    Maura Healy is a bad joke

9. Cat1

Cat1 Bobtail Member

May 26, 2017
    Massachusetts
    You got that right About her. Unless of course you are an undocumented illegal alien . Yes, I filed a complaint with the Attorney generals Office. I wasted a stamp on it.. I received a letter. I thought was a joke, that i would like to share with you. It read my case does not meet their criteria. And, I was SOL. But, I was invited to a free wage theft seminar sponsored by The attorney general office in Boston. Only in Massachusetts !!!! Thankyou for that one!

10. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Had you been in possession of a written contract, with the specific's spelled out, you would have had a case.
    Your word against his, well, not much anyone can do.

11. Cat1

Cat1 Bobtail Member

May 26, 2017
    Massachusetts

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.