Overweight ticket

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by pavrom, Dec 6, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    It may be different in different areas, but at least here and some other places I have gotten overweight tickets, they never even showed up on my record. I can usually manage to get one or two a year, it really isn't that hard. lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    I scale every load and can't fathom why a driver wouldn't do so

....................................................UNLESS..................................

Do you not reimburse your drivers for scale fees?

I'm picturing some sad sack 1099 driver who is getting paid peanuts and also has to pay his own scale fees.

4. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    A few years ago I agreed to drive a truck for a sorta friend of mine. Another friend usually drove it but had a heart attack, so I drove it while he healed up. I was down in Los anchorage pulling double bellys and no way could I axle out the lead trailer. I called him and told him we should just bring it home as the job sucked to my way of thinking anyway. I finally got a ticket and brought them home. when I handed the secretary the ticket, she told me he had said it was on me, so I left the message with her that he needed another driver. he called later and offered to pay it, but I declined.

tarmadilo Thanks this.
  5. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    1100.00 sounds like way too much money on the fines... I unfortunately have received a few overweights over the years but none of them were over 300 bucks.

6. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Depends on the state and how much overweight you are.
    The highest I have ever had to pay was 1800, but know of many oilfield loads that ranged way up in the thousands.

7. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Driver has my card for miscellaneous stuff on the road , i never prohibited him from getting his weight at scale .
    Not sure what peanuts are but he is paid 30% from gross

x1Heavy and mladen86 Thank this.
  8. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    When I ran otr I rarely ever scaled a load, my truck has a suspension gauge and I have a gauge on the trailers as well. They are not 100% but unless I was borderline I never paid for a scale.

pavrom Thanks this.
  9. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Northeast illinois (My area) Know these 1099's too well......

AFTER his driver left the scale still overweight after 10pm...He went directly to the Flying Hook and used 2 water bottles in the cr@pper and left them in the stall for others to see.

And had a conversation with a gentleman from Zimbabwe washing his feet in the sink as he was leaving.

JonJon78 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Was there an inspection? Or just an overweight ticket? If just the ticket, pay it, it won’t show up anywhere. All the places I worked for paid overweight tickets for the drivers. You can try to ask the broker to participate in the fines. They lied to you about the weight big time. And until they pay, that shipper will be overloading trucks whenever they can, because on their end it looks like, they sent it, it got delivered, so will do it again.
    And I once had 87k load that pulled like a dream. KC to SL is mostly flat except for one spot. He could’ve overlooked it.

pavrom Thanks this.
  11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    They should actually show up as a inspection for the driver, "PASSED Inspection" weird as that might sound.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.