Owner Operator for Garbage Collection?

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by ItalianStallion1, Nov 29, 2021.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I did some asking around about your question. In this area most of the garbage contracts...residential and industrial...are awarded to companies on a bid basis. I don't know how often they bid or what they make but the same people have been doing the work ever since I can remember.
    We looked into a contract for our end dumps hauling rubble from a huge demolition site to the local landfill. The tipping fee for our loads would have been five times what the normal tipping fee was. The same company that owned the landfill also did trucking and brokering.

lilillill Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    almost as bad as a grocery warehouse ….

4. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Surprised WM hasn't used the tactic they used over in GR, which was to lobby the city council to pass an ordinance requiring all garbage haulers to have like $2m worth of liability insurance and some other stupid rule that I can't remember. Easy for WM, not so easy for the smaller guys.

WM already owned the landfill and transfer station, so they'd been working on squeezing them out for a while.

5. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    That’s when you’d be lucky to have the land & permit to create your own dry dump for concrete and wood and other non hazardous waste and you’d be set.

REO6205 Thanks this.
  6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Maybe some other state than the one I live in. I doubt if you'd get through the permitting process for less than a couple of million and even at that you'd be watched by so many different governmental agencies that it would drive you nuts.
    Plus, if they found one speck of anything they considered hazardous, and that means anything not specifically cited in your permit, they'd shut you down.
    Nah, no thanks. I'll run a few cows, grow a little rice, and keep a few almond trees instead. That's not as apt to give me ulcers.

Coffey and lilillill Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.