Owner Operator here no debt

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Transportacion R&R, Apr 10, 2020.

1. ChevyCam

ChevyCam Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Sounds like you need to do more research, imo.

Plently of great lengthy threads on this board that will answer most of your questions already.

20k cash maintenance account and another 20k of available credit for unforseen events should hold you over after paying for plates and insurance.

Good luck.

Lawdawg7320 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Check back here in a year and tell us how that 4 truck dream went. Where do you think you're going to get 4 good drivers (or even 3 if you are one) to drive those trucks?, guys who will take care of the equipment and follow the rules and not hit anything which will end you in a heartbeat due to cost of insurance and CSA points.

I have a dream too. It's to have a load board give me more than 5 loads within a 100 mile radius. As an owner you'll learn real quick that your dreams get smaller and smaller and so do your savings.

4. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Here this guy jumped in the business when it was HOT in 2018... Now after reality hit, he's selling the 4 trucks and MC#...

Priced at $250k...

Selling my mc/trucking company!

Opendeckin and 4mer trucker Thank this.
  5. Transportacion R&R

Transportacion R&R Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2020

Ask yourself, how did Besos start amazon, if he listened to the negativity, you would have no amazon!! If Dillon transport listened to the negativity he would not make new drivers CDL possible!! Don’t think negatively buddy!! It won’t lead you it will castrate your dreams!! If I remember correctly we are in America!! We make #### happen!!!

6. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    I commend you for dreaming big but every answer you have gotten is truth . For every successful owner operator there are 5 others that went under or ceased operations. There is alot of useful knowledge on this forum hopefully you take the time to search it out. Good luck

86scotty, ChevyCam and dwells40 Thank this.
  7. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    If you are dead set on trying to make a multi unit MC starting with no contacts.. I'd suggest take a look at Prime's power only division. You can run your own MC under their network umbrella. Hire your own drivers while pulling their trailers and have access to their terminals.

I'm also pretty certain they allow you to pull your own loads to a certain degree as well but I'm not 100% on the details pertaining to that.

While I wouldn't do this as a single truck MC but as a multi truck start up I don't think it's a bad idea or at least might be worth looking at. Reason being is they allow you to offer a bit of extra incentives to your drivers that you couldn't possibly do for yourself. Also you get access to their dispatchers meaning less headaches you have to deal with.

The point being you can start up with instant access to available loads and not have to rent or maintain the trailers and you can provide a bit of extra creature comfort for your drivers as well as get yourself access to their terminals for repairs ect at their discounted rates. Also it's probably extremely hard to beat Prime's fuel discounts..

8. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    What Bezos did was made possible by an alignment of many different technological, social, and financial components coming together in a short period of time. I think what he's been able to pull off has been amazing.

However, comparing what he "dreamed" and accomplished to pulling around a trailer with truck, delivering goods to the masses, isn't a fair comparison of expectation or reality. What we're doing has been done by millions of people in proceeding generations (in one way or another) going back hundreds of years.

Doesn't hurt to "imagine" and dream though. I mean, John Lennon did it after all :)

86scotty Thanks this.
  9. Transportacion R&R

Transportacion R&R Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2020

Good thought thank you, I’ll ask an additional question, how much do most owner operators charge per mile? Or percentage of mile to their drivers? I have a plan on that but I’m curios as too what is being paid out there to 1099 drivers.

10. chimbotano

chimbotano Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2013
    You know? You are exactly right . It took me about 3 years to understand that I couldn’t compete with Megas, crooked brokers and worse I couldn’t compete with other o/o who hauled for pennies.
    I had 3 other trucks and I was doing local runs and I had 2 excellent drivers , then some
    Other guys started running for lower rates. I said F this Sh$&$). I sold my trucks . I said good bye to my really good drivers And friends .
    Since then, I’m 1 man company . And let me tell you something else...... my freedom is priceless!!!!!!! Even my dick works much much better . Lol .

86scotty and dwells40 Thank this.
  11. chimbotano

chimbotano Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I commended you too. When I started in 2013 I heard the same things here and everywhere , but I never took it as a negative suggestion.
    I believe that people here are being genuine and honest . This people are telling you , in most cases , what’s happening to them and they don’t want you to make the same mistake. So, take what is good and the rest as a lessons.
    In my case , I have 2 great amigos who took the time to teach me and show me about this business , plus , I had nothing to loose , so I jumped in. However, I knew exactly what I need to do DISCIPLINE. If I was going to make it , I must be DISCIPLINED. My goal was to be independent , I never chased money. I knew that all I had to is my best , then the rest will fall in place and if it did not work. So be it !
    I’m glad that it is working for me .

dwells40 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.