Owner Operator Pay? Net-30; Instant Pay, etc.

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by XYZT, Jul 17, 2017.

1. XYZT

XYZT Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I am looking into buying my own truck, etc. but I am worried about having to wait 30+ days to get paid for a load. Are there any ways around this, or is that just a broker thing? I am currently doing research before I pull the trigger one this O/O thing, but I figured I'd get the best response from people who've been successfully doing this for years. I do not want some jerkoff answer from Google, hence why I'm on Truckers Report. With that being said, I would appreciate a genuine answer from someone who's been in the game for a while; not some ######## answer from a Super Trucker who can't seem to cut the CB Rambo #### even when they're not driving. Any legitimate advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Light Load Member

Hi there XYZT.There is freight factoring companies that you can sign on with.For a certain percentage-they will pay you(i think immediately) for your run-then they will chase down the broker.I never used that service-im sure some here that do or have will let you know more about it.
    Ive been running a long time-keep my loads-connections to a tight knit group,im paid 30 to 60 days out.A few are 90 days,but not many.
    I would say-being your starting up-you oughta figure on knowing your money isnt coming for 60 to 90 days.
    Please- Plan on that!Please budget for that.Ive been burned thru the years-some arent worth chasing down.It's gonna happen.
    Starting up-you dont need that-just be prepared.
    Good luck to ya.

Missionadvance2023 and Guerr0 Thank this.
  4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    When you lease your truck to a company that hires owner operators then they should pay you on weekly basis. They should handle all the billing and collections.

When you want to be an independent owner operator, you have your own MC/DOT#
    then there are 2 ways I know of to get money quicker

1. Factoring companies - there is more of them than turds in a latrine. As soon as your MC# becomes active they will call you and offer services. Some will pay you even the next day, via ACH. Look around here for some threads, there should be quite a few of them.
    2. Quick pays - brokers will pay for a fee. Most of them offer that for a fee 2-5% depending how fast you want the money.

30 days of waiting should be the norm when you invoice them yourself. For this 15 - 20 k on a business account is a minimum necessity before you start and that's a designated business fund, not to be used for a mortgage or car payments. It is about 3 - 4 weeks before you will see your first checks.

5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    You need reserved funds before you do the O/O thing as you call it. And yes, there are companies out there that pay you for your invoices BUT there's a fee or percentage. I knew I guy that use it but it only barely kept him above water.

6. Tripp_84

Tripp_84 Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2018
    Las Vegas
    How does the whole invoicing thing work? I pick up a load and deliver it. You leave the invoice with the BOL at the receiver and they send the money via check? Or is it through the broker you used on an app? Or is the invoice the actual BOL?

7. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    You send the signed BOL (they call it often POD - Proof of Delivery) along with your invoice for the agreed amount and the Rate Confirmation to your broker. It is most often done by email - you scan and attach the documents. Some will let do it via Transflo or their own apps, or you can do it via regular mail.

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    But always make copies. Never send your only copy of any documents to anyone. If something does come up, you will need to to resolve the issue.

P.S., That advice was mostly for the op and well, everyone not who I quoted specifically.

9. McMahons Trucking

McMahons Trucking Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.