owner operator

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dean Fancher, Mar 16, 2023.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Take advantage of time. It’s the one thing you have on your side. Keep researching, and watching Truck prices closely. Keep learning and saving. Once you have a good idea, you’ll know. Prices have a long way to go down yet. Maybe as much as 40-50% depending on the economy and the rates. It’s anyone’s guess. But prices are absolutely headed down. That’s for sure, it’s already started. Right now the rates don’t justify over paying. Many who overpaid thinking they could make the difference back easily, are now saddled with Trucks they owe more than they’re worth. They’re upside down, and will be for a long time. Some may ride it out, many others will decide it’s not worth it. Repos and voluntary forfeitures will drive all prices lower. Even new Truck prices. The demand has dropped. Now it’s time for everything to adjust. It happens real fast, like everything in Trucking. Take your time, get familiar with Trucks, finance options, and also potential opportunities. Somewhere it will all come together, making it worth your effort. And you’ll know, based on your knowledge. Be patient. There’s always a deal available. Always.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    If I had to have a truck I would be looking for someone who is trying to sell before the repo man comes around.
    Where I am at the money just is not they're anymore. When you turn down cheap loads the company's just lease on another truck to haul their cheap freight. Two to three weeks later when the first check comes around you figure out it does not add up. The cycle starts all over.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    You wont see that kind of price on the newer trucks at that mileage unless theyve been trashed

5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Probably so, you definitely have to go over anything you buy used. But I still think it's a good idea for anyone with cash in hand now to wait several more months on used trucks prices tanking even more.

Rideandrepair, Siinman and haycarter Thank this.
  6. Vampire

Vampire Medium Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    The only way you’ll find out is if you list your truck for sale. Put up the price you want and would be happy with in comparison to what’s on the market. When the used truck market tanks again, you can jump back in.

Two recent sales on EBay sold for between 70 & 75K in December. One was a 2016 and the other a 2014. Both had more miles than yours.

Truck paper has sleeper Petercars between the year 2014 through 2016 listed up to around $160,000 . (Some are even listed at an even more ridiculous price of $180,000).

Go for it, you can say yes, or no. List it and let the best solid offer with verified funds win.

Good luck to you. :thumbright:

Rideandrepair, Siinman and gokiddogo Thank this.
  7. reelheavy

reelheavy Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Maryland
    Sir, I don’t know what kind of freight you wish to haul but I have a Cascadia and 48’ combo with a spread waiting for a new owner. Still has 6 months of SiriusXM radio waiting for you!
    I’m getting out while I can. Truck/trailer is located in MD.
    Truck has been driven 2 times a month since October 2022 just a load to pay the insurance.

8. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    @Dean Fancher, there ya go, a turn key operation ready to go. Only thing left is to find a fleece company unless you have your authority already.

Banker, Rideandrepair and Siinman Thank this.
  9. reelheavy

reelheavy Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Maryland
    If it’s a way I can transfer the numbers you can have those too. Clean, no accidents, no OOS, etc.

Vampire, Rideandrepair and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  10. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    It’s a “win win” for @Dean Fancher.

Rideandrepair and Siinman Thank this.
  11. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Unless you got a plan how to close on steady good work that demands your skills over the rest of the overcapacity crowd… I’d stay where you are.

Rideandrepair and bzinger Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.