Owner operators delivering for amazon prime?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Manny118168, Mar 20, 2018.

1. GoBucks43228

GoBucks43228 Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Nope, not a myth. You do need a minimum of 3 trucks. Now maybe there was an exception made for someone. I don't know, but you do need 3 trucks.

As far as hauling freight for Amazon, it has it's ups and downs. The best part is a lot of their DC's are strategically placed right off the highway...but not all. IND8 for example is a few miles from the interstate and when you put the address from the load sheet into your truck GPS, it will take you to a dead end street on the other side of the building with a sign greeting you that says NO TRUCKS. It turns out IND4 and IND8 in Indianapolis are in the same building but ataa different address off the main road. Other than this location, they have all been fairly easy to get to.

Pay varies. I know a lot of company drivers who make $1200-$1400. Some more, some less. Subcontractors for Amazon can make really good money, too. Yes, they do cancel loads often...but when they do you are paid for it! Also, they hardly ever fill their trailers. No time for it. I've ran loads that were 2,000 lbs sometimes. Most were around 6,000 lbs.

Yes, the in/out especially in peak season can be frustrating. Not all guards are trained the same. But I can tell you things have improved. Easier check in, the Amazon Relay app has been updated, and overall things are better than they used to be just 6 months ago.

My suggestion....try it out. Don't pay attention to the haters. They may have ran for them 3 yrs ago or something. J.B Hunt does Amazon and this megacarrier would not be contracted with Amazon if it didn't pay well. If you're not an owner operator, I'd personally find a smaller contractor with more freedom for you to choose your loads. Go to the closest Amazon near you and look at who is hauling for them. Good luck!

yb226, Dparkersr2020 and jbgrim72 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    You didn’t let him finish. The fleet is all used Sterlings from Central Transport’s retired fleet. Miles in the low 2 million range.

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Bathroom stall message at the truckstop:
    "Looking for a good time?...I'm cheap and have lots of loads!...Call Jeff at 800-Amazon Sucks."

KB3MMX and gokiddogo Thank this.
  6. rahtek

rahtek Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Soooooo you kind of,sort of, might have,forgot to tell how much they're paying.

No one is complaining about Amazon not rolling out the red carpet for o/o. They're complaining about the rates. Just because an owner is paying their driver 1200-1400 doesn't mean he's making money.

So what's the skinny? Stop being a tease

7. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    This is first hand info:harrisburg to boston roundtrip pays $1800 plus fsc:it may sound cheap and yes it may have a stop somewhere along the way to swap trailers but tolls are paid by amazon and no trailer to maintain,drop and hook on both ends,light loads.from a fleet owner prospective thats good money especially when amazon pays weekly so no factoring or waiting for 30 days.
    Just to transparant::most of these companies are 1099 outfits running old iron and i know for a fact a lot of them are even skipping the wc insurance.

rahtek Thanks this.
  8. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    So that’s 800 miles total for $1800 plus FSC?????

With extra stop each way?!?!????

In some of the worst traffic in the country?

Hey,,,, I’m glad they are pulling in trucks. Less competition for me.

9. zinita17601

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    Its really hard to explain something to someone who got his fingers on his ears.$1800 plus $0.2 fsc per mile thats $1960 on 800 miles,a driver cover this trip on two driving shifts and one break thats 32 hours so he’ll do two trips a week at 70cpm thats $1120.the truck grossed $3920.
    Will say truck burned $1000 on fuel:net income on those 1600 miles is $1800 with very little maintenance: thats good money for any fleet owner,to an independant trucker not so much.

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I'll say it again it is a myth that you need 3 trucks to get in with Amazon. Ask Chad Bobblet and probably a hundred or more other solo independents on his Facebook page who are direct with Amazon. Everything you posted about Amazon is all fine and dandy except you forgot one thing, the rates. Do you even know what the rates are or do you just drive someone else's truck?

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  11. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    What's maintenance cost a year on a dry van trailer?

12. zinita17601

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    How many miles a year?what part of the country?how aggressive is your driver?doing your own maintenance or outsourcing it?buying parts and tires in bulk?
    First you have to buy , insure it, pay to park it then you have to maintain it.

bijan1 Thanks this.
  13. MillRose904

MillRose904 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2019
    I understand that you have to have 3 trucks and your own authority to run for amazon. Is this correct?

• Truckers Report Jobs