Owner operators delivering for amazon prime?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Manny118168, Mar 20, 2018.

1. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I've talked to people doing it full time, who make more than that, often times if you watch the offers that come up, they will raise the prices to attract people. I've seen blocks start at $65 for 3 hours and top at $120 for 3 hours, during the holidays it can be up to $250 for a 3 to 4 hr route. As compared to Lyft or Uber, $65 for 2 hrs is pretty decent.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. striker

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Depends on the area of the country as to what the rate is, package car drivers in my area start at $20.64, during the holidays they were hiring helpers at $17.50 for temp work.

4. striker

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Tips/Commission/salary, where? The last pizza store I helped open in '01, I'm still friends with the owner, not a single driver there is making more than $18/hr between tips/commission/salary on a regular basis, maybe during the holidays or Super Bowl, but not consistently.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  5. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Wow, have a guy around here that at 40 years old still delivers pizza, for the best one in town. Now he has a day job but runs pizza 4 or 5 nights a week since high school. Buys a new Kia every 5 years to trash. He buy a car just to deliver pizza in. Yes I understand most can't or won't do that. He says some weeks he makes more on pizza than his regular job. All cash. Again he hustles and is know to bring you things that most kids can't. Claims he averages about 30 per hour. Known him a long time and have no reason not to believe him. The cash part is key.

6. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Key word start at. I was top rate. Top rate is pretty much the same nation wide. It fluctuates a lil but not a bunch. I was a shop steward for 15 years so I got to see some other supplementals from around the country and they were mostly within 75¢ of each other.

p608 and jamespmack Thank this.
  7. striker

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    It's possible to make good money doing anything depending on the hustle. I know guys doing Uber/Lyft who are making consistently $2,500 per week working 6 days, 6 hours per day, and I know people who do it that struggle to make $75 per day. Going back to Amazon flex, I talked recently to a driver that does 3 blocks per day, 4 days per week, then does other gig jobs. He's retired, he does it to stay in shape. That is the one thing, the blocks that I've done, there's some serious health benefits to it, after the hustle that I did on that first block, I realized just how out of shape I was.

Last pizza chain I worked at (almost 10 yrs), we had a driver who never spent more than $500 for a used Subaru, he'd run it till it died, only doing oil changes and absolute repairs, some would last him 6 months, some would last him two years. Last I heard he's still doing it, and he still buys the cheapest Subaru he can and run it till it dies, then sells it for scrap.

jamespmack and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. bardbacx

bardbacx Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2019
    That is 2.30 a mile, its still doable with your low fuel cost on the 6k and empty.

Mud tire Thanks this.
  9. MrCorder0

MrCorder0 Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2019
    to me as well please?

10. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Can you pass it on to me also?

Brandonpdx and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    I'll just pass on it. LOL

86scotty, FlaSwampRat and Ruthless Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.