Owner operators delivering for amazon prime?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Manny118168, Mar 20, 2018.

1. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    My opinion, It will stay strong through late next year. The first real slow down we will see is next winter. The following spring while it will pick up, it won't have the sudden strong surge we had this year and last. 2020 will be disappointing, how disappointing will depend on how tight the election appears to be going.

Normally these 2nd term elections don't have a big effect because everyone expects the incumbent to win, but trumps term has not been 'normal', so it's really anybody's guess to how manufacturers will react in the election year. Do they continue business as usual or do they tighten up the purse strings in preparation of a change in the white house?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

Lets hope things stay strong.

Problem with strong economy like it is,.. everyone wants to get into the trucking business. I'm reading all the questions and posters on here and other forums,.. and I'm thinking that is only a small fraction of the people who are financing trucks or in the process of getting home equity loans cashing out their 401k and IRA to buy a new truck, thinking they can cash in on our success. People really are stupid like that.

I know if I was CEO of a big corp,.. I would be holding in as much capital as I could before the 2020 election just in case Trump loses. Thats why I think 2019,.. especially after mid year will be rough on rates and freight. 2020 will depend on whether Trump gets another 4 yrs or not.

Thats how I'm looking at it.

Hurst

PorkchopXp, pavrom, Tug Toy and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Debt free... These guys are going to learn the hard way. You have seen it, I have seen it, and barely survived Obama... But, I am still here. ;-)

5. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    I have the EXACT SAME OPINION. I even posted a thread about it recently about a TIDAL WAVE OF UNQUALIFIED TRUCK DRIVERS. Some people found a way to cheat the system somehow and get CDLs easily, then they look for a trucking job but warn employers they do not know how to drive a truck. They get hired anyway, get put on teams so that at least one driver knows how to back up, the unqualified one just drives forward on highway.

Brandonpdx and Tug Toy Thank this.
  6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

Same here. Started out with cash and barely survived. Made more than a few rookie mistakes. Had to do it my way,.. trial and error.

Learned my lessons well. Trailer will be paid off by Nov so I can use that to help me on my taxes this year. Best year ever profit wise and dont want to give it all away to the IRS if I can help it.

Hurst

7. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Five months off with my in frame, long story, but I did it myself with the help of Rawze... Been a rough year, just bagged a small loan to pay off the once zero balance CC's, two of them... Thank God the credit was there. When this crap hits, it hits. With lost revenue and down time, parts, etc, cost me around what, $70,000+++? The bills do not quit, not that I had any to speak of, and thank God I do not, house is paid for... Dealer picked up $14,000, I came up with $10,000, credit cards $20,000... And 5 months of hot expedite freight down the drain.

Not a racket for the faint of heart, or just scraping by. ;-)

Motor was in framed two years to the day it failed AGAIN. Just saying. Never trust a shop. :mad:

8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Anyone with half a brain can get a CDL. I gave mine up for 15 yrs and had it back in under 2 weeks on my own. Took tests at DMV for $80. Used Roadmaster truck for 3rd party road test,.. cost me $150. Went back to DMV with credentials,.. viola. I had my CDL back. Never took a school test in my life. Done and didnt owe anyone.

Problem is that new drivers get in with places like CRST, Werner, Swift etc,.. thats all they know. After about 3 months they get comfortable behind the wheel and think they are an expert on trucking and are positive they have what it takes to be an O/O. When in reality,.. they dont have the first clue of where to start. Their idea of being an O/O is leasing a truck from their carrier and still being told what to do and how to do it. Learning nothing about how to become an independent. Then if they somehow make it through the lease period,.. they end up with a 700k mi used truck that is now ready to nickel and dime them while they try to pull loadboard loads at rates that they have no idea if they are profitable or not. They just look at the gross numbers as a paycheck,.. not a business expense sheet.

Hurst

9. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Spot on... And then the truck breaks... Forget the freight, LMAO! Welcome to ownership. Now what? ;-)

ThaGhost77, Tug Toy and Hurst Thank this.
  10. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Been there done that. I went through roughly $33k in 2 months while mine was being inframed. Were it not for the help of my carrier I would not have survived.

People just dont understand. How can you go through $33k on a $18k inframe? If I have to explain that,.. you'll never get it in.

And according to my driver the tranny in my Columbia is making some strange noises,.. few of the gears need to be coaxed into position. Told him he better baby it,.. I'l part that beast out before I sink any more money into it.

Hurst

ThaGhost77, Tug Toy and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  11. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I hear you, and these new emission trucks, they look pretty, but they are 500,000 mile throw aways unless you figure it out and have the cash to repair.

Very scary, these are not the trucks I started with in the 80's and 90's that would go a million miles with regular maintenance.

These new trucks are a hot mess, I have tools out the wazoo, diagnostic equipment, sheet I never thought I would own, or ever need! Ownership today, you better have your sheet together or you will be eaten alive.

And think a dealership will keep you running? They will run you, right to the POOR HOUSE.

Enough said.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.