Owner operators @ Menards

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by murat, Mar 27, 2012.

1. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Reading Gears post reminded me. He was the person that first turned me onto Menards for Vans. What I learned after talking with him then Menards is that each DC works things a little differently. So make sure you are comparing info for the DC you are looking to pull for.

bullhaulerswife, Gears and barroll Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LSAgentOZR

LSAgentOZR Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    We ship ALOT into Menard's on flatbeds into their DC's and stores. They have very strict requirements about late loads, but they are very flexible and quick about unloading our guys. Overall, I like shipping to them far more than Lowe's or Home Depot (Ugh...those guys just suck).

4. blacksmoke

blacksmoke Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2012
    i have pulled for midwest manufacturing (part of menards) for 8 months now and run local for them now have found out they are redoing there contract again and will be cutting the rates even more there bounus suck and i have to constantly sit at stores to get unloaded even after i was told it would be only 30 to 45 min. to unload average unload time is 2 plus hours with no compensation for sitting tarp fee is a joke and i have to constantly fudge my logs. most of my days are at least 12 hours more like 14 to 16 hours and dont bring home the amount of money to show it if any one is considering working for the definitly reconsider it. they will tell you what you want to here before hiring you and after is totaly different!

bullhaulerswife Thanks this.
  5. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Don't directly haul under Menard's authority, but I do a lot of in and out for them at the DC's and some stores with the carrier I am with. Must have an ok rate for us to continue to do it. On many store runs I have gotten 1.12 a mile, plus fuel surcharge, doing dry box delivery. Carrier trailers. Minimum of $150 plus fuel surcharge if the 1.12 rate doesn't add up to $150. I took a look at Menard's deal and walked away.

6. BigBadBill

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Not sure what Menards locations you are dealing with but live loads at DCs are 3-4 hours. Tarp pay is an insult. Should just not pay it.

Rates, depending on the location, can be decent. But we are not talking about running under their authority.

WI location is a joke. It is a Distribution City not Center. Last load was only 5-hours and felt lucky on that.

And in terms of schedule, you have to deliver within 48-hours of getting loaded. How is that strict?

But after our second nightmare load with HD I will agree on that one.

7. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Bill, he said shipping TO them. So he's not actually doing live loads for stores.

We are power only for them, and just brought on another truck. Then they rewrite the contract, and it is so insulting to the O/O that anyone that signs it as it is, would be foolish.

Many of the new stipulations in the new contract are to their advantage and could really break a guy. Anyone that has been handed this contract needs to read it very carefully before you sign it. There is a stipulation that you have the right to amend it. And that's what we intend to exercise on our end.

We cannot run for what they are proposing, and its up to us to make sure that we negotiate a proper rate for our operation. :biggrin_25511:

8. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Bill, he is talking about hauling outside goods INTO the stores and DC's, not hailing FROM the DC to the stores....

9. BigBadBill

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    The stores and DC I have hauled outside loads into have all been FCFS. But every area is different.

Seems most of the DCs are making a big push for this. Asked my main one for the contract so I could see what it is and said they would just do it like we have been doing it but need to have insurance on trailer at $10k. And being the great guy that he is he would not dock me on the rate because I have a sleeper.

What a great guy.

SHC and bullhaulerswife Thank this.
  10. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    LOL, what a joke. I used to love shopping at Menards, but lately I have been finding myself going to Lowes more often due to cheaper prices and more things in stock.

You'd think if they are cutting the contractors rates then they could lower their prices a bit on the name brand stuff.....tho they have the cheapest Korean/Chineese crap around lol

11. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Just an update, our DC is FORCING out the carriers that do not sign their contract. Even if they've been with them for a number of years.

The new rates make JB Hunts Power only look REALLY GOOD.

The BIGGEST INSULT of the whole contract is the Bonus Program. Paid in .......wait for it

Gift Cards.

Now you cannot buy tires, fuel or anything trucking related with their gift cards. And in order to get those gift cards, you have to do 2500 miles a week. For those that are doing the local runs, store deliveries, this is NEVER going to happen.

They are very soon going to be hurting for people to pull for them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.