P&D City Driver - Hours

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by mack0244, Jul 19, 2018.

1. mack0244

mack0244 Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2017
    I know that LTL is long days and tons of hours, but I was hoping to get some clarification on the average work day. Would you say the average is closer to 10ish hours or more like 14.

The reason I ask, if anyone cares, is that I am enrolled in CDL school in Massachusetts and am trying to decide between OTR and local work. I am a 25 y/o single male with absolutely nothing tying me down other than my dog. I have no doubt that getting into this industry is what I want to do but I also would never be able to give up my pup, she's become my other half.. I've lived alone for the past 3 years and I have very little family (which is a good fit for this industry i think.) . Leaving my dog home for 10 hours with the occasional 14 hour day would be fine as I have a dog walker that comes to the house daily. On the contrary, pushing 14 hours a day, 6 days a week would not be the right thing to do for her and would make the decision to go OTR with a pet friendly company easy.

Call me crazy, but my dog is my best friend.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fuelinmyveins

Fuelinmyveins Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    I'm a city driver for Fedex Freight and we usually work 10 to 12 hours each day. 8 hours regular and anything after that is overtime. We are off on weekends, however we have a sign up sheet for road runs on Sunday. Most major holidays we are closed and we get paid for them.

As a new driver at FxF or at least my hub be prepared to work on the dock a lot.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  4. mack0244

mack0244 Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2017
    There is a Fedex Driver apprentice position open just 2 towns over from me which I am interested in applying for. It says only a CDL permit is required, but I'm assuming I would have a better chance if I already had my CDL.

5. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Some of our guys work 9-10, others are always working 13-14. Start times vary. Some are out by 6 am, some 7, some don’t leave the terminal til 9:30.

M-F, some Saturday work is available if you volunteer. Rarely forced unless there are no volunteers and you called off during the week

6. TheyCallMeDave

TheyCallMeDave Heavy Load Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Tejas
    It will depend on the company. I have a few buddies who work at different LTLs. One that works at Southwest rarely works more than 9 hours a day, one at OD works around 55-60 and one at R&L works 50-55. I would also venture to guess that the time of year plays a roll a well in regards to freight volume, with certain times of the year being heavier than others.

7. plankton

plankton Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    Every driver at my company that averages more than 60 hrs per week does so by choice... I average 10/day, paid for everything, with time to spend with family and dogs everyday. Local is not (usually) the long slog that some otr promoters try to make it out to be.

8. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    OTR would be more enjoyable for you and the dog. I've done both, and if your dog is small enough to fit comfortably in the truck with you, it would sure be happier with you every day than sitting home alone most of the time. LTL can take 12-14 hours a day and by the time you get home you don't feel much like socializing with the dog. All you want to do is sleep.

9. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    If you're looking to be a P&D driver...I would look at companies that pay OT after 8 or 40....like FXF, UPSF, ABF, Dayton, Pitt Ohio, etc. All the rest don't pay til after 45-60...like Saia, ODFL, R+L, Estes, etc. Linehaul is pretty much the same for all of them...a few cents difference here and there...but pretty much the same...execpt for R+L, where they pay by the load.

10. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    This is an eye opener for me. I need about 55-60 hours to support my family. I thought this was only possibile doing linehaul which I do now (not LTL). Hours suck with a toddler and an infant at the end of the year or a dog for that matter. I suppose it depends on the terminal.

11. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    UPSF has that...and even more...like 60-70 hours per week...as a Combo Driver. They need City Drivers BAD...and putting in that many hours puts you over $100k, with free healthcare.

Starting pay sucks...but they just had a tentative agreement on they're new contract, so starting pay should be a lot higher. Nothing has been leaked yet...or IF they're even gonna approve on the contract. Negotiations have been extended INDEFINITELY...and it can always be voted down...but it MAY be a LONG contract negotiations.

Air Cooled Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.