P&D Driver

Discussion in 'Averitt' started by stephenbmx1, Mar 10, 2019.

1. stephenbmx1

stephenbmx1 Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2017
    I'm one month away from having one year of experience with Schneider national running dedicated home daily delivering freight and drop and hook etc all over north Texas. I was seeing if anybody knows how many hours the city p&d/local guys at Averitt get a week and how much they make on an average. I talked to an Averitt guy at a Loves right outside of Houston that works outta Dallas and says they pull like 60-70 hours a week. And then I look online and read some people working 40. I'm in Dallas and don't want to be working more than 50 hours a week and I like the whole p&d kind of routes. I was also looking into Fedex Freight too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    I used to work at averitt for a while, they are a decent company LTL to work for.
    Here are some things about them.

All auto fleet volvo or freightliner.
    50 to 55 hours no over time.
    You will haul mostly 53ft, unless is a specific area and you will be given a 40ft or 30ft.
    Monday thru Friday, you can work on a saturday to do a line haul run.
    Expect 10 to 14 stops plus pick ups.
    401k is decent
    You have to wait 1 year to get a full 1 week of vacation.
    Uniforms are provided to you.

My humble two unwanted cents dont limit yourself to averitt or FedEx, also apply to OD, Estes, Saia, AAA, U.S Road, Yellow, ABF and southeastern. Good thing you live in dallas and theres plenty to choose from as dallas is a hub for many LTL.

Good luck.

Opus and stephenbmx1 Thank this.
  4. stephenbmx1

Aug 14, 2017
    Why'd you leave? Did you do P&D or Linehaul?

Yeah I forgot to mention the other P&D companies that I see everywhere. I just want to do as much research as i can to choose the best company for me to invest my time in. I don't want to go to Saia because of the front facing camera deal they got going on.
    After doing some research I'm looking into Fedex, OD, ABF... but I'll def check out the other ones too

5. Texas_hwy_287

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    I was doing city P&D then I left to Old Dominion due disagreement with management. You really cant go wrong with either Old Dominion or Estes, both overall good companies to work for.

I worked at OD for some time then I got laid off, all I can say OD is very well organized. Here are some of the things you get with them.

Expect 50 to 55 hours a week.
    Run a linehaul on the weekend to get extra cash.
    You must have all endorsements.

Monday thru Friday work, you will run wild and probably start around 11 or noon, depends on freight.

After 1 year of working at OD you will get 2 weeks vacaction time, you also accrued PTO every month, if im not mistaken you get 8 hours a month. Maybe im wrong.

Starting pay depends on your experience, if you have any prior LTL experience they might start you at $25hr and over time after 60:eek:.

Most of OD fleet is manual expect one or two auto trucks.

Your bday is off and pay for.

401k I believe they match up to 6%.

Overall is a great company to work for.

Now since I left Im working with Estes and they are pretty good company as well.

RookieJ1987 Thanks this.
  6. stephenbmx1

Aug 14, 2017
    Why did you leave?

Would Fedex freight as a city driver pay more than being a city driver for OD?

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  7. Texas_hwy_287

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    Got laid off from OD. Fedex pays overtime after 8 so you would probably make a little bit more. Either way bro OD or FedEx you cannot go wrong.

stephenbmx1 Thanks this.
  8. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    @Texas_hwy_287 is exactly spot on. Listen to him.
    I was a manager for both Conway (now XPO) and FedEx freight.

stephenbmx1 and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  9. stephenbmx1

Aug 14, 2017
    Does OD allow to transfer? Like if I decide to move to Colorado or something?
    Thanks for all the help guys!
    I'm just kinda havin a hard time deciding which one to go with. I like how OD equipment is cleaner or nicer and 2 weeks after a year plus B day off etc. But FedEx has over time after 8 hours which is nice because I don't want to be working like 60 hours and such...

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  10. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    They all do if there is an open position

Texas_hwy_287 and stephenbmx1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.