P&D driver

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by kspelman1023, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    South Pennsylvania. Somewhere in the York/Lancaster area

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    You got plenty of ltls to choose from since you moving to the york lancaster area.

Realistically you could put between 45hrs to 50 plus at any company you choose to work for. Especially at this time since LTLs are struggling to get good drivers.

Weight your pros and cons on whatever company fits your needs.

Good luck.

MACK E-6, Bob Dobalina and Air Cooled Thank this.
  4. Air Cooled

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    How are P&d drivers routed? I’m on a cylinder route with a cryo company and we route ourselves. The invoices come in the night before and I put them in order based on time requirements and area etc.

5. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    @Air Cooled its sorta the same, the company I currently work for has a system where the zip codes are put into the computer and it will route you from the closest to the farthest deliveries.

Not always is accurate especially if you run your route daily and you know you will be passing couple deliveries to get to the one.

If time permits, its best to rework your trailer and place the deliveries in the order you want.

Air Cooled Thanks this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Basically we depend on some overnight doofus who’s never seen the inside of a truck before and never fails to put politics ahead of efficiency to not ruin our days.

7. Air Cooled

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    If you don’t have dockworkers (small terminal) then wouldn’t you load the skids in the order that makes sense? And if it’s a big terminal with the trailer loaded, you just gotta run the route like it’s loaded as is? Within reason of course

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    The first few have to be in order so you can get some room to work. If nothing else is oversize you can switch a few here or there for geographical expediency.

Texas_hwy_287 and Air Cooled Thank this.
  9. Jimi Page

Jimi Page Bobtail Member

May 18, 2021
    OTR steel hauling is where the action is !
    You can even take the steel coil to bed with you if you want.
    Line haul is so easy it’s boring.
    Now their putting video cameras in the trucks at Ward to spy on you constantly.
    So you can never play with your smartphone for entertainment, or they bust you, unless your parked somewhere.
    Local P&D has those frequent stops, where you can fire off a quick text etc or do it while their unloading a couple pallets.
    So that’s another reason to be local P&D.
    Is it more work, yes, but that’s what makes it better, and it’s easy work.
    You bump more docks.
    Sometimes use your pallet Jack.
    Walk in, raise your door and set the dock plate.
    They drive in and out with their forklift, and sign the bill, then your on your way to the next easy stop.
    It’s much healthier too.
    Your moving and walking around, which feels good, rather that sitting in a seat for hours, getting a sore butt with no blood circulation.
    Your burning a lot more calories too.
    So you naturally stay in great lean shape, and can enjoy eating and drinking more everyday.
    I like that.
    The wages keep going up fast too, due to the lack of drivers.
    Love it.

10. Jimi Page

Jimi Page Bobtail Member

May 18, 2021
    upload_2021-5-23_11-24-47.png
    OTR steel hauling is where it’s at… upload_2021-5-23_11-24-47.png upload_2021-5-23_11-24-47.png

11. moose2517

moose2517 Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Piedmont, AL
    First thing I do is walk my trailer to see my first few deliveries. I had a stop a few weeks ago, 7 fully loaded skids.
    Him. "You have liftgate?"
    Me. "Nope"
    Me. " you have a forklift"
    Him. "Nope"
    Me. " you have pallet jack?"
    Him. "Nope"
    Me. "Holla at you later"
    It was 84 degrees in Atlanta that day, hell I sweat just getting in the truck. If you think imma break down these here 7 skids buddy you got me severely ####ed up. I was gone with the quickness. Back to the barn 7 skids and all.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.