PA weight variance allowance

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Mountain_Dweller, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Mountain_Dweller

Mountain_Dweller Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2014
    Good morning!

Some states have some kind of guidance allowing officers enforcement discretion up to a certain amount of variance on the vehicle weight for calibration differences, rain storms, etc... New York is 3% on the gross and the axles for instance. Does Pennsylvania have something similar?

Thanks!

-Nathan

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Who told you ny is 3%? The limit is the limit. Ny allows 36000 per tandem by law. Most states will give 500 to 1000 over for axle weights but are very strict on overall gross weight.

4. Mountain_Dweller

Oct 18, 2014
    An enforcement officer!

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Ny might have something like that because they mostly use portable scales. How often are those calibrated? I would think the permanent scales are more accurate.
    I know pa is not one to screw with on weight. Have heard them give drivers grief for being only a few hundred over. And being pa...... I'm sure their calculation for the fine is some ridiculous equation.

Trucker61016 and Mountain_Dweller Thank this.
  6. Mountain_Dweller

Oct 18, 2014
    Yeah, I'm just trying to figure out if there's any kind of official guidance on the matter and whether it's at the state level or the troop level. I have noticed that some troops are lenient whereas others are very strict.

7. Mountain_Dweller

Oct 18, 2014

I think you're right about the portable scales good point.

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    They would not publish or make SOP such a policy relating to "acceptable overages". They (enforcement) will always want to retain the ability to use "discretion" that might/can vary across multiple means. So, the law (limits) that are on the books are the limits. If someone wants to grant a temporary waiver and ignore the issue or look the other way, they can and probably do, up to whatever they decide to allow on any given day.

9. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    I scaled up to 1000 pounds O/W several times in FL and never got pulled in even one time. I'm not saying that's their rule or policy, just my personal experience. Your mileage may vary ;-)

10. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Remember Pennsylvania's thick drive over portables?

We used to haul a tank container on a short chassis with the tank all the way at the rear. The rise was so much that the liquid rolled away from the axles being weighed.

Never got a fine but if NJ had the fixed scale open we were toast...but that was back when a phone call and mailing a check was all it took, now you have to go to court and pay a higher fine and court costs

11. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    PA don't care about axle weights. Just the gross. I rolled through the one on 83 at Newberrytown at 36000 on the drives a few times. Never been bothered. But the popped a friend of mine for 500 over gross.

Most would allow 3%, but Im sure that's nothing official, and at the officer's discretion

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.