Paccar engines

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by wihusker13, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Riverstick

Riverstick Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Ireland
    The back up in my parish depend on who you are.....big fleets tend to get a better deal/backup/warranty compared to smaller fleets/owner drivers

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. clarkocl

clarkocl Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2012
    wiggins, ms
    Our company bought 4 Petes with the paccar mx in 2011. None of the drivers like them. Low power and fuel mileage no better than cat. After changing fuel filters for first time 2 of the trucks seem to be using fuel from only 1 tank. Have tried 2 different filters that are offered by paccar with no luck. Both trucks use more fuel from passenger side tank, which is the smaller tank. Have checked both supply and return lines and splitter. Have noticed when engine is at idle you can hear a humming sound one the 2 that have the problem.

4. Scania man

Scania man Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    Ok, scania here do the same thing, the reason for it with scania is they draw fuel from one tank so when you refuel you have to fill that tank first, check if your fuel line is split or drawing from one tank, it sounds like that's what's happening

5. Disturbed Canuck

Disturbed Canuck Light Load Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Saskatoon, SK
    Could also be plugged vents. I've seen those come dirty straight from factory.

6. Scania man

Scania man Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    Yes, could be dirty vents and that would give the same explaination! Makes perfect sense!

7. clarkocl

clarkocl Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2012
    wiggins, ms
    Thanks for the replies Scania & Canuck. Have checked all fuel lines, splitters & vents and have filled just one tank. I think the problem is the fuel filter. Do you know of an aftermarket filter I can try?

8. drillrig

drillrig Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2014
    :biggrin_2551:Purchased (new) 2008 Pete 330 with Paccar engine with repair cost and tow bills exceeding 30k $USD at 95000 miles. All maintenance schedules performed by dealership through out warranty. Major issues and cost associated with DPF, regeneration, several computer codes, replaced EFM, turbo, to much to name. Filed complaint with BBB and 30K later and some being paid by warranty. Finally...we think its OK. But cost to my company with down time and tow bills was painful. Small company here with five sons. The Pete not a problem but engine was costly. My 1996 Ford F750 6.9 Cummins out preformed the Pete's from a cost stand point. Although, the 2006 300 Pete purchase new with the 300 Cat did much better. Looking two purchase two medium duty trucks, either Durastar or Mack Granite. The Mack has my attention. Any suggestions would be helpful. Truthfully yours Drillrig

mrbmg Thanks this.
  9. randalandrew

randalandrew Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2015
    I have a 09 330 pete with the 350 cummins has paccar on vavle cover and having problems with cab grounding I have a cb in truck and I can set the swr on it and will be great get going down the road and hit a bump or two and cb will havr a lot of interference and checked cb swr and will be way off then I will take a piece of wire and run from antenna to the chasis ground and its good again. have any suggestions found a place behind driver side front wheel looked to be cab ground it looked ok ? thanks for any help u can give

10. alaskanmaster212

alaskanmaster212 Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2019
    ive got a 08 px8 in my335 pete and I'm getting combustion into my coolant right now at 4900 hrs and 86000miles on the truck dealer still cant tellme whats wrong

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.