Paccar Engines ?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Miami Trucker, May 1, 2015.

1. Miami Trucker

Miami Trucker Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Miami,Fl.
    O.K,just wanted to know ? I've noticed More and More Paccar Engines are being available, looking at Truck paper recently.

I'm assuming mostly from Fleets ? I don't know much about them,except that Googling them.

It LOOKS they are a Subsidiary of Cummins ? Is that safe to assume ?

That unlike the Maxxforce Engines,that these will Last Longer,and are MORE Reliable ?

Although The asking price is no where near as Low as The Maxxforce's !

Example : International's with Miles Under 400,000 only asking for Less than $ 40,000 ? !

The Paccar's with The same Mileage ( mostly in the T-700....Which I like,but Not as Much as the Cascadia's ! ).

They are asking for around The $50,000.

So is it Safe to assume ? That they are No where near as bad as The Pro-Star's ? !

And would you choose The Paccar's over The DD-15's ?

Just The Facts.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RomanSGI

RomanSGI Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Haslet, TX
    1. Paccar is not a subsidary of Cummins
    2. A lot of big fleets are using trucks (KW's & Pete's) with Paccar. I don't know why exactly they are using Paccar but I do know that they are really good with their warranty. No if's or but's. If somethig's broken they take care of it! Also understand, in the same token. Those fleets are going to off load those trucks WHEN THE WARRANTY EXPIRES.
    3. I own trucks with Cummins ISX15, DD15, and one with Paccar MX13. All are good, really depends what it's used for. Personal favorite current engine on the market is Cummins ISX15 hands down.
    4. Don't buy a MaxxForce (my advice)

bzinger and DechkoTzar Thank this.
  4. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    I would also recommend to stay away from maxxforce.

Our Pete's at work have the paccar mx13 engine and so far they are decent. They pull good and get good mpg. I think most fleets go for them since they're cheaper than the Cummins option

5. KenworthGuyNH

KenworthGuyNH Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Central, NH
    Paccar Engines are not NOT a subsidiary of Cummins. They are of DAF/Leyland heritage;(Euro/UK trucks) the ones for North America are assembled in MS. IMO not in the same class as Cummins, other opinions may vary.

6. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    The company I get loads from has Detroit's, cummins and paccars. The lead mechanic said they like the paccars performance the best but can't get fuel mileage out of them. Cummins was ok but still issues with check engine lights and sensors. All around best choice for them was Detroit

7. ReeferOhio

ReeferOhio Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Ohio
    The paccar is a good engine, the major difference is it's a 13L and the cummins is a 15L. For a 13L they pull very well and can average great MPG's. The block and head are Compacted graphite iron, (from a foundry in Germany, assembled in Mississippi) and are the only engine to receive a B10 life rating unlike all others at B50. Meaning the expect only 10% of the engines produced to experience a catastrophic failure (engine overhaul) before one million miles. Both the Cummins and Paccar are both great engines IMO. Run from the Maxxforce, although I do not know how they preform now with SCR tech and refinements to there engineering.

8. ReeferOhio

ReeferOhio Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Ohio
    Also some of the confusion with them being related to cummins maybe because the smaller Paccar engines I think they are 7L and 9L are cummins block, head, and turbo. But the 13L is a true Paccar product from Europe, forgot to mention that in my last post.

9. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I know that Paccar purchased Kenworth and possibly Peterbuilt.

GreenPete359 Thanks this.
  10. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Peterbilt and Kenworth are both owned by paccar, Paccar has been around since 1905, they acquired kenworth in 1944 then peterbilt in 1958.

11. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Guy I'm leased to bought three brand new Pete's. They have mid to upper 400k only thing done other than regular service. One injector,one alternator.

Hegemeister Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.