Paccar MX Engine ???

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by kirk, Mar 2, 2013.

1. kirk

kirk Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    ks
    Does anyone have any comments about this new Paccar MX engine that is in the T-700 & T-680 KWs?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. the oringinal back again

the oringinal back again Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Franklin, ar
    i have driven one and like it. it has the old cat growl to it. they get could fuel mileage, some say little weak on pulling side but i did not have a problem with it. i am getting ready to buy a truck with that engine and i think you will like the motor i know i did. i have no quarls about it what so ever. are you getting one as a company driver or buying one? they are quieter on the idle side than all of the other engines out there. i believe you would like it.

kirk Thanks this.
  4. kirk

kirk Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    ks
    Im thinking about leasing one, and was just wanting opinions on their performance.

5. .honeybadger.

.honeybadger. Road Train Member

Sep 30, 2012
    FL
    It's a quiet engine, especially in a T-680. Ive never seen a quieter combo than this. It's good for the fuel mileage, but it could use a little more pull. My fiance and I have agreed on that since we've both been in a 700 with the Paccar MX. Part of the problem could also be how much HP TransAm has cut back though. I feel it's not a bad engine, but it's definitely not a CAT, lol.

6. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    I had one in a 660. Did not want to pull a hill and acceleration was lagging. I wished I still had my old cummins

7. The Bird

The Bird Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2012
    White Rock, NM
    I have a 455 hp MX with a 13 speed in my T700. Kind of a dog from a stand still (pulls the same loaded or empty). My Detroit 60 pulled hills a little better but the MX has a better mid-range. I'm getting high 6's - low 7's for mileage pulling 40,000-48,000 lbs in the mountainous states. I keep it between 1200 and 1425 rpms and keep the boost below 20 lbs. Your mileage will vary depending on how you drive, I cruise around at 60-65mph. You will get better mileage by not using the cruise except on the absolute flat since any sort of hill will immediately push the boost up to 30-35 lbs. I never added oil until I hit around 80,000 miles, and even then I only add maybe a 1/2 gal per month. It has needed coolant ever since I've had it (brand new). I add about a gallon every 2 weeks.

EDIT- quiet is an understatement. This truck is quieter than my wife's Subaru.

8. L.B.

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    Check all of your hose clamps under the hood. All of mine were loose from the factory. Once I tightened them all down mine quit loosing coolant

9. .honeybadger.

.honeybadger. Road Train Member

Sep 30, 2012
    FL
    I had to put a gallon of coolant in my 700 every five days. There was never any sign of a leak. I even had it in the shop and it still kept sucking coolant. Im hoping my 680 proves to be a sipper rather than a guzzler.

10. L.B.

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    Brand new my 660 had a coolant leak and an oil leak, both on the turbo

11. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Find where the coolant is going ! If its not leaking out , it's going in. Water on top of the piston is bad news. Water In oil also bad. Glad to hear same positive reviews! Have heard bunch of bad reviews.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.