Package Delivery Driver vs Tracter Trailer Driver

Discussion in 'UPS/UPSF' started by Last_over_hill, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Last_over_hill

Last_over_hill Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2011
    What are the big differences? Pay rate for both if known. I am thinking of applying for UPS. I have been driving since last August OTR and am not in a big hurry to go local (although would love to be home more) was thinking about applying for UPS because haven't heard hardly anything bad about them. I would be applying in Omaha, NE. How is the environment with UPS? Do they generally leave the driver alone as long as he follows the rules? Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Squirel

Squirel Crusty Critter

Feb 8, 2012
    San Fernando,CA
    As for package driver- Very picky about you doing what they trained you to do. From how you approach the truck, stepping inside, walk around etc. Training is very easy as long as you follow it to the "T". And believe me, they do monitor your routes and watch you occasionally. If they see you doing it your way & not the UPS way, you will sit and watch videos.
    I enjoyed it very much being a package driver. Its not hard to do it the UPS way. Its done that way to save steps & time. I only did it seasonal. As for going full time, good luck!
    BTW they are Teamster Unionized.

4. Last_over_hill

Sep 29, 2011
    I'm wanting to go to a union job. How are the union fees? Thanks for the reply btw.

5. Squirel

Squirel Crusty Critter

Feb 8, 2012
    San Fernando,CA
    WELL......FYI......this thread will be moved to the politics section Im sure just so you know.
    If you want to go union, find in your area the nearest Teamster local.
    Theres good and bad.
    Im 2nd generation truck driver, Mom too since 1974. We both have been union all our carreers. We both have been screwed over in some way or another. Yet we both had allot of blessings in our life due to union also.
    But after so many years in union, its NOT what it USE to be for sure!
    And thats all Im gonna say.......believe me I got lots to say but not here :biggrin_25513:

6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    It's hard to get hired at ups.If you do start working for them I think you'll be considered partime even if you're working full time hrs till you get a uniform.They make you work hard and fast.Time is of the essence there.I think when u don't deliver you'll be working on the dock.

7. Squirel

Squirel Crusty Critter

Feb 8, 2012
    San Fernando,CA
    True Pattyj.
    If theres an opening for full time, its because someone died/retired/fired. Then it goes to a part timer first. If you get on part time, you work the docks and load trucks most of the time or you get someones route that called in sick or if they need help with deliverys.
    I enjoyed it allot but needed full time asap when I worked for them.

8. Last_over_hill

Sep 29, 2011
    Alright thanks for the replies!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.