Packing List for Students

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by notarps4me, Jan 24, 2007.

1. superscooter

superscooter Light Load Member

At the bus stop now...thanks though

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    You should be ok with that, carry the backpack on the bus...

Anything you need on the road, get while out as long as your trainer has the space. Ask him to make Walmart stops every few days, if you are sleeping, have him wake you up.

4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I'm sorry but I can NOT agree with that advice. DO NOT PLAN ON WALMART STOPS. Walmart are not that accessible Bring what you need. If you have an emergency and need something see if you can get it at a Walmart but be prepared to buy at a truck stop or other place when you are off duty.

5. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    OK lets get something straight. Carriers run their training different. Some carriers the trainer sits in the right seat throughout the whole time till you get your own truck. Some carriers however after a time goes into a team mode and the trainer is in the sleeper while trainee is driving. Most of the time in these team operations that tractor is running around the clock. You will not get most trainers in these situations to make (Walmart Stops). Yes if you are running with a trainer that goes off duty when you do you might be able to get a (Walmart stop ) in. My point is DO NOT GET ON THAT TRAINERS TRUCK EXPECTING TO MAKE MALMART STOPS!!

6. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014
    I was with a trainer who stopped at least once a week at a Walmart instead of a truckstop for a meal break. It is not that hard to do. Have there been locations with poor access? Sure, but not that many. The ones closest to main highways usually do not have that problem. Some even have designated truck parking(some have problems with 10 hour stops, but if you are there shopping on a meal break, by the time they ask you to move, you are about to leave anyway). Usually the truck parking is on the side, further away from the building, or in the back of the building, as long as you 'scout' the location via Google maps and not impede access, you should have no problems. Personally, I do stop at Walmarts this way about once per week and get food items in the event I am stuck somewhere getting (un)loaded and I get hungry/thirsty while waiting, or I have to stop in a rest area for a 10 because I couldn't find parking within range of my hours for the day(but that does not happen often since I hedge my bets and pay in advance for reserved parking if I think I will have that problem when I come in late in the day, I use the TA or Pilot app on my tablet to do so).

7. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    And I don't have a doubt you are being correct and truthful. But this is NOT my point. You simply can not get on a trainers truck expecting that trainer to make Walmart stops. Because I can tell you now I know several trainers that WILL NOT do them.

Edited to add: This is why it is so critical to make contact with that trainer before you get on the truck. You can then get all the information you need to prepare.

8. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014
    All I am saying is he can ASK. What is the worst thing the trainer can say? No?

You don't know if you don't ask...

9. superscooter

superscooter Light Load Member

Im not planning on walmart....brought what i need. Thanks guys.

10. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Not trying to belabor the point, I do agree with you on the ask part. However the problem comes when a student is already on the truck expecting these stops and gets told either No or we will see. Then you as a student are screwed. This is why I advise to make contact if you can. If you can't then take JUST what you need no more no less. 5 to 6 changes of clothes (weather dependent) and a extra pair of shoes and a pair of rubber boots. A coat in winter and a raincoat.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.