Packing List for Students

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by notarps4me, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Beentheredunnthatt57

Beentheredunnthatt57 Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2018
    And stay away from lot lizards until you get more experience.these aint like the ladies back home.they will leave you stsnding in parking lot with only your skivvies before you finish ssying hi

Drive-by-Yogi Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChevyCam

ChevyCam Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Bumping this thread as I finish digging through all the pages. Heading out for orientation myself and now im better prepared. Old thread but tons of great info here that im certain others could use.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    You might have a hard time keeping a laptop charged depending on the truck's equipment. Tablets are nice, invest in one if you are an electronic guy like I am. You can tether your tablet to your cell phone for internet and you have a larger screen to work with. You do can do your work and have entertainment. Most things can be done on your phone now. If you aren't banking from your phone already, learn how to do that. It will save you a lot of time. Keep your cell phone software updated, and secure your phone with a fingerprint and a 6-digit pin number. IT pros call that two-factor authentication and it's considered pretty secure. You can have google maps, a calculator, compass, transfer money between accounts, pay bills, buy stocks, and a lot more from your phone. Once you get proficient with it, you will wonder what you ever did without it.

5. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Bumping this even though it is in the "links" of good info. Wondering if anyone would update it to what they'd bring now during the training/mentor stage vs what was original posted. Hind sight is 20/20. Besides your "basic gear" while doing trainer/mentor stage. What break down of clothing, footwear, personal items are a must.

Also when transitioning from Trainer/Mentor to solo, what items would you add to your gear/load?

6. Monkey in a truck

Monkey in a truck Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2020
    I only read the first and last couple of pages, so I might have missed it. I've been out of a truck for almost 30 years, going back to it after "retiring" from a major oil company. One thing I noticed missing on lists of what to bring is a couple pairs of good leather work gloves, and a box of vinyl disposable gloves (like for food) they're cheap, and they stand up to what little bit of diesel you'd get on your hands fueling. I carry a box in the door of my box truck. Even working as an ag mechanic for 5 years, I never could get diesel smell to wash off. I don't mind it, but it doesn't enhance your food.

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

More tools, CB radio, microwave, fridge/electric cooler

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.