Packing List for Students

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by notarps4me, Jan 24, 2007.

1. road dawg

road dawg Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Beaver Dam, WI
    Baby Wipes!!! I learned to rely on them serving in the gulf. In trucking you also may got longer without a shower than you care to. You can also use them for quick cleaning, handwashing, etc.

faux_maestro Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. vargagirl

vargagirl Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Guelph, Ontario
    Upon reading through this thread, and noting the carry-on sized bag suggested earlier, it crosses my mind that we could take a page from those who prefer to pack light when hiking/camping or to take only their carry-on luggage when flying. YouTube has a lot of interesting videos of suggested items to take, and especially, how to pack them efficiently. Another site that is excellent is onebag.com, with a generic packing list that is designed to fit in a standard carry-on bag and last as long as the trip lasts.

This thread is still better, though, 'cause there is so much that is trucking-specific. Since I am also a complete newbie, I really appreciate the accumulated experience of this site.

kingfisher Thanks this.
  4. crabby125s girl

crabby125s girl Heavy Load Member

May 11, 2009
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! My bf is going off with his trainer in less than a week and this thread helped us alot!

5. Saddle Tramp

Saddle Tramp Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2009
    laurel, nebraska
    back in the day '77-'83 all i had was my rand mcnally map to get me from point A to point B. if i didnt know where the place was i called the place where i had to load/unload. but i usually ask other drivers where the place was. this is just a suggestion learn how to read a map, instead of reling on todays tech.

I am medicineman Thanks this.
  6. vargagirl

vargagirl Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Guelph, Ontario
    I've heard that if you get directions from the place you're going, it's a good idea to double check for low bridges, bridge weight limits, etc. Chances are you would be getting instructions from a 4-wheeler. Other drivers or home base might be at least as reliable.

7. FRAYED ENDS

FRAYED ENDS Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Denver, Co
    What is the verdict on laptops? Has anyone taken them to training/school with them? And if so is it easy to keep them with you or somewhere relatively safe?

8. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Well; back in the day fuel was cheap and people did not care how much OOR you had....:biggrin_2554:

9. the trainer

the trainer Bobtail Member

May 28, 2009
    maplewood mn.
    Hi all I'am a trainer for a med. size company. I have a printed copy of things that I Call "Things you may want or need for your new ride" I also tell all of my students to minimize all the STUFF they think they need with me when I train them to 1 bag or suitcase. I actually had 1 student bring 6 yes 6 bags with him!!!! The basics I try to get them to bring with me is the following..... change of clothes for at least 7 days. weather gear appropriate for the time of year, hats and gloves in winter rain gear in the fall. WORK gloves. You WILL BE WORKING on the truck and materials being shipped, plan on getting dirty! Note book, pens. lap top if you must. money for expenses yes yolu will be buying your meals unless you pack your own in a SMALL cooler or in your 1 bag. I let my students use my microwave so that helps. glasses, sun and reading type. a watch. cell phone with a charger. a sleeping bag if the triner does'nt keep bedding in the truck for students. I do suggest they bring their own pillow. any meds they need. license, medical card. Atlas the trainer will have. If he or she is worth their spit they will allow the student to use it. a thermos and drinking cup. I wont go into the stuff you'll want for your truck once you complete your training now. If you want it I'll summit it later. Remeber Be Safe Be Good Be Gone

10. DsquareD

DsquareD Road Train Member

May 21, 2009
    Green Bay, WI
    I didn't get much opportunity to use my laptop. I may not bring it on my next trip. My trainer had a cooler that I could keep a few things in. My first trainer rarely ate in the truck stop. He was very frugal and encouraged me to buy things at Walmart that could be easily prepared in the truck or heated in the microwave at the truckstops.

11. dkepco

dkepco Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Las Vegas Neveda
    To Anyone,Does anyone know what to expect a orientation with Swift?I am going on 08/25/09 but I am leaving tomorrow for Salt Lake City tomorrow to be their for tuesday greyhound.

Thank you
    dkepco

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.