Packing List for Students

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by notarps4me, Jan 24, 2007.

1. LSUtruck

LSUtruck Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Great tips. How often do drivers usually shower in the truck stops? About how much room is actually on the truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. the trainer

the trainer Bobtail Member

May 28, 2009
    maplewood mn.
    DON'T GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Swift?????????? Why in the world would you do that to yourself???????? If you have'nt heard I think it was about a year ago the feds,local, state cops and even the IRS. raided the swift complex in knoxville. Apparentlly the owners and or instuctors were taking bribes to pass students!! They don't know which students or how many so they are demanding that all former students for the last year or so get retested for the road portion of there CDL. All Swift does is throw bodies into the trucks, run em till they drop, have to many accidents from lack of training or get fed up and quit. I've spoken to drivers from swift and they think that way also. BE VERY CARFULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. the trainer

the trainer Bobtail Member

May 28, 2009
    maplewood mn.
    Showers at truck stops?? They have those?? Naw really You can always get a FREE shower for every 50 gallons of fuel you purchase. You can also pay cash for them, some are good value but others are way over priced. You can shower as much as or as little as you want but for the sake of all you fellow drivers please shower more then once a week! Room in the truck?? I guess I'd ask what do you want to drive. Each truck has differant size sleepers/cabs. You'll be able to get a fairly decent size one and move about with little problems. I have enough room in mine to have underbuck storage, tv,microwave,coffee pot, wardrobe closet, fridge, another storage cabinet, Storage above the two front seats plus a second bunk. Not all truck are built with all that storage but you should be comfortable to live on the road.

CadetTrucker and I am medicineman Thank this.
  5. Owner's Operator

Owner's Operator Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Chicago IL
    Once a week? If I went without one for a week I'd be so nasty it would be unbearable. Two days is the longest I can go.

6. DsquareD

DsquareD Road Train Member

May 21, 2009
    Green Bay, WI
    On my first 8 days, we showered about every other day or better. Showers at truck stops were free with fuel purchases. There are some travel plazas that have free showers for truckers. We also got free showers at three different company terminals.

In between showers you can use baby wipes to keep your hands and face clean. Especially if you get into something like handling a couple of lumber tarps. Even if you are planning on showering that evening, the wipes come in handy to help keep you functionally clean and socially acceptable.

7. Larz

Larz Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    Thank you for the good info! I checked and Werner's trucks have bunks so I do not have to spoon anyone. LOL!

8. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    My thoughts exactly, I have a bunch of Blackhawk bags ranging from small & med BOB/range bags to extra large 8K cubic inch gear duffells and that's what i plan on bringing.

9. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    For you students out there ready to do the big plunge and are heading to your first assignment and are wondering what to take with you for the first month or so in that truck I'm hoping my 30+ years of traveling can help you out. For you women (and guys) who are slaves to fashion and just HAVE to wear 3 and 4 shirts a day and have a suitcase full of makeup, STOP and reevaluate your wanting to become a truck driver! Modeling or an office job might be more up your alley!

Dirty clothes take up room and remember there are 2 people and their belongings in that rolling closet called a truck, and you are only there temporally! Plan on a 1 month road trip with 1 suitcase! I can tell you from experience that hard sided suitcases hurt when they hit your co driver in the head,and they hurt even worse when thrown back at the owner! They do not expand that needed extra inch and stay the same size when empty! You'll be moving it around several times a day and you'll come to thank yourself for only bringing the 1 large travel bag! Remember you only have 2 hands so 2 bags are the limit! You will also be traveling by bus or plane. You can do without the kitchen sink for a month! (Ok, I hear you saying the total is actually 3! The laptop case goes over your shoulder! ROFL!)

I've seen posts where you are told to bring a sleeping bag. Yes, a sleeping bag, LIGHTWEIGHT is ok but I would just wait till you are ready to roll and stop at Wal-Mart and get a cheapie 40degree bag to use and a pillow with case and a set of flat sheets. (as a liner in the bag). Why have something else to carry! Another note is sleeping bags start to smell after long use and cleaning a cheap bag is a waste of money! Buy a new one! Donate the old one!

You can find large 36"x 24" nylon gym/ski bags at Wal-Mart or other stores. The larger the better! For a little more money you can get the same size with wheels, which is great for walking more than a few feet! {Google suitcases!} I also have a small nylon bag that I fit 1 pair of clothes, ditty bag and thermos for going in for my shower. Why carry the whole suitcase? You can use this as a carry on for the flight or bus ride to your new job as well.

Do you want to know how many clothes to carry? Fill the laundry bag up with full sets of clothes except for those you are wearing and that will tell you your limit! Also remember you will need to carry this bag how ever far it is to the washing machines! Get the idea yet? More isn't better always better.

Yes, you are heading to a new job and you might be low on cash to buy the few things you will need. You might be a little short on money but I'll be honest with you. BRING AS MUCH AS YOU HAVE! Note above; you will need to buy a sleeping bag ,sheets and a pillow. BUT you will also have to eat and drink and wash clothes! I can tell you most sit down meals at the truck stops are getting pricey! $8.00 is AVERAGE but $10.00 and higher is the norm and I'm a skinny little old guy and I don't eat much! Even Mickey D's and the King are getting stupid with their prices! You will be able to get advances against your pay but if you do not keep up with what you are advancing yourself you'll wonder where your paycheck went! My rule is, I leave home with $150.00 (used to only be $100.00 till this year!) in my pocket (I have a steady paycheck ) and every time I pull out of my pocket for the company I will advance that amount and ONLY that amount to put back into my pocket! This keeps the wife from asking the question, where did your money go or why did you need this? She has a P/C to spend and I have peace of mind!

Just another tip: Truck stops are nice but money hogs! The only things I buy at a truck stop is fuel, food repairs and CB equipment. Anything else can be bought elsewhere and a freaking whole lot cheaper!

Good luck out there,
    Rollover

The list
    1) 1 large nylon ski bag light weight
    2) 1 smaller nylon gym bag for going to shower.
    3) Laundry bag
    4) 7 pairs of clothing: undies, socks, pants, shirts/blouse/T's , PJ's if you wear them
    5) 1 light weight jacket and sweater, WINTER 1 heavy jacket with gloves. You will be wearing the winter jacket (in winter) but the light weight jacket and sweater you'll pack as you might need them for cool docks or hot blooded co drivers!
    6) 2 pairs of shoes (closed toes!), 1 must fit in the bag! 1 flip flop for showers
    7) Ditty bag (shaving kit) with your personal hygiene stuff. Ladies an extra SMALL bag for your make up.
    8.)Laptop in a case
    9) Briefcase with:
    Paper work from school
    NOTARIZED copy of your Birth Cert. (ask if you need original as this is one piece of paper you don't want to loose!)
    Resume
    Bank account info
    SSN card
    Calculator
    Black ink pens
    Yellow highlighter marker,
    2 or 3 spiral note PADs 5x3" and/or 6x4" (fits in a pocket type)
    1 large spiral notebook for taking notes
    Flashlight a GOOD heavy metal one!
    Leatherman tool or one similar do not buy a cheapo!
    IPod & Cell phone and HEADSET (learn to use it and like it as the laws are changing and your co driver might not like your taste in music and your phone conservations!
    The charging equipment preferably DC
    1 Rand McNally road atlas (truckers)
    Stapler (small)
    Magnifying glass
    Scissors
    Sewing kit
    EXTRA pair of glasses if it says so on your CDL (you MUST have 2 pairs of glasses) and your sunglasses
    Good_book
    Writing pad and envelopes (if you still write)
    Kleenex
    Several 1 qt sized Ziploc bags (good for loose stuff)
    Immodium AD ( you WILL need it!)
    Asprin and your regular meds
    Batteries to fit anything needing them!

10) 2 pair of work gloves 1 of these will be used for fueling ONLY!

If it doesn't fit into the 1 bag, 1 laptop case or the briefcase you DO NOT NEED IT! You will not need tools until you get on your own truck. Do not take cooking idems or such until you talk to your trainer! Your company should be able to give you a contact number for him/her so you can ask them questions. Keep this advice in mind if you are going to a company where you have to slip seat each time you get time off or go home. You might even be reducing some of the clothes to fit the CB radio in the bag or that XM radio rig! You'll be able to adjust what you need when you get out on your own! The 7 changes of clothing will get you 14 days before you need to wash as you will not be showering every day! Every other day if not getting sweaty is about the norm and those washing machines are pushing $2.00 a load now! Don't think you need every little thing you want while solo! I've seen drivers fill up the bed of a pick up truck with all of their junk not to mention the trash they threw away! I could keep on but I'm wasting valuable bandwidth here!
    Again,
    Good Luck
    Rollover

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
    jburton, EzT, Hip Hugger and 61 others Thank this.
  10. nicnat2

nicnat2 Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2008
    sin city
    Well I had a trainer who had to shower everyday and let me tell you it was nice. If you get fuel and get a free shower, you and your trainer get showers...2 for 1 deal. I usually have no problem showering everyday or every other day. But please don't wait to long to shower because you really start to stink and there's plenty of guys i've run into at a t/s that are really bad...really bad...:biggrin_25524:

11. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    are you showering with your trainer?? :biggrin_2556:

crabby125s girl and ProPilot Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.