Packing List for Students

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by notarps4me, Jan 24, 2007.

1. creepyoldguy

creepyoldguy Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2009
    what is a good temp sleeping bag i mean is a 50+ ok or do i need something more like a 20+:biggrin_25521:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. luvtheroad

luvtheroad Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Don't know if anyone posted this or not but instead of carrying laundry soap and softener I got those Purex sheets that are the soap and softener all in one. I put them in a zip lock bag. They take up no space and we all know you need all the extra space you can get. Do a pretty good job too.

4. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    I would not get a mummy type of bag. Get a flat at the lowest temp you can get. While at WalMart or some wher else. Whie at WalMart go to the fabrics section and find the rolls of flannel. Get one piece about 40 - 60" wide and 12" longer than the bag. Also get a set of twin bed sheets. Then find a heaver blanket.

The sheets will help to keep the bag clean and smell free! Yes, they will ride up but you'll figure out how to get then to stay flat by sewing the bottom together. Then use the flannel as the first blanket then the second heavier one if it gets a little bit more chilly then fold the bag it's self over for real cold nights! Just like layering your clothes! You should be able to keep warm down to 30*

Now do not sleep in your jeans and shirt! Get a flannel pair of jammies bottoms and a long sleeved T type of shirt. Sleeping between sheets and OUT of your work clothes makes for better sleep! And your clothes wont look like they were slept in LOL Just Kidding but they will smell better if you don't sleep in them!

creepyoldguy and CadetTrucker Thank this.
  5. Ignatius

Ignatius Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Tanasi
    I carry a small container of laundry soap & a small zip-lock bag of "softener sheets" for the dryer. This has saved me a bit $$, plus it makes my clothes smell like "home".

6. Ignatius

Ignatius Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Tanasi
    I'm probably the exception to the rule (I usually am), but I fully believe in making your living space as comfortable as possible.

Sleeping bags? Not bloody likely! 1200 thread count sheets? I like. The cheaper 600 thread count sheets? More likely. A $25 discount store comforter spread over the top? Even more likely.

7. creepyoldguy

Dec 17, 2009
    thanks i just did what you said lol well thanks

8. creepyoldguy

Dec 17, 2009
    I dont know about any of you but i have the smelliest feet in the world lol (we call it O-loughlyn feet coz every one on that side has smelly feet) but a cure that i have found is to get some Irish springs still in the box when i take me boots/shoes off i put a bar (again still in the box) i each boot/shoe and it seams to get red of the smell its not permanate but your cab doesn't end up smelling like feet :biggrin_2551:

9. wallytrucker

wallytrucker Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Deltona FLA
    GPS will take you way out of your way I noticed this running local and a couple times wanted me to turn into a pasture

10. wallytrucker

wallytrucker Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Deltona FLA
    thanks for all the info I head out tues 12/22 for 4 weeks

00 buckshot Thanks this.
  11. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO

Yes if you're in your own truck. But with a trainer do the bag and when you get your own truck dry clean the bag and put in under the bunk. You never know when the truck will break down in sub zero temps and no money for the motel!

I prefer sheets and blankets in layers. I've never had a sleeping bag in the truck. I do love the sheets that are fitted and sown together at the bottom. Regular sheets I have a bad habit of pulling the bottom sheet out of the tuck at the bottom!

Rookies: you can buy the fitted sheets at a truck stop. Just MEASURE the mattress as they come in several sizes! Oh you can also get a mattress cover at WalMart. As you'll discover those plastic covered mattresses feel like well sleeping on plastic! Makes me sweat like crazy! Also get a set of sheet garders to hole the sheets to the mattress!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.