Packing List for Students

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by notarps4me, Jan 24, 2007.

1. madmoneymike5

madmoneymike5 Medium Load Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Some companies require multiple forms of ID, just to cover their #$$. Besides, in my situation, I'll need to stop by the DPS in my home state to switch over my license since I've been training out-of-state. DPS requires both of those items.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stlhrsemn

stlhrsemn Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2010
    acampo, ca
    To everyone who's posted their thoughts on this thread, thanks a million!!!! I'm off to orientation with Gordon on the 30th and feel like I'm prepared as well as I possibly could be. This forum in general has been invaluable to me in getting ready for this career change. Thanks again and be safe out there everyone.

4. scCopperHead

scCopperHead Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Excellent thread; thanks for thinkin' about us newbies. The list on post #168 along with several other comments make this thread invaluable; no wonder it's docked.
    One thing I noticed missing, though, and something I haven't left home without and am gonna feel downright naked without, will be my .45. Jees, of all the folks ('sides women, o' course) that need a sidearm nowadays in "these times", it ought to be truckers, for cyrin' out loud. I know, I know; our handlers like us soft, pink, unarmed and, by all means, paying tribute. Just for fun, though, when the DMV lady was handing me my new CDL, I asked to get the Federal Firearms Endorsement, you know, the one where the Department of Homeland Security issues you a brand new .45 to help secure your load. Ha, ha, ha -- she almost took it back -- ha, ha, ha.

Seriously, though, what happened to Jason Rivenburg in March last year and not 10 miles from where I live makes me a little apprehensive goin' OTR. Of course, there's always 911; when seconds count, they say, help's only minutes away.

If'n I can't pack what I'd like to pack, I'll try to make sure I pack a good sense of humor.

scCopperHead

Crypto Thanks this.
  5. bluewatergirl64

bluewatergirl64 Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2010
    My man just got a trucking job with panther. Having the list made getting things ready easy. Thank you for the help.

6. musicgal

musicgal Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Carthage, Missouri
    I've been getting my stuff together and that packing list really helped. I've got a small duffle bag for my personal stuff, and since my son and I are driving to Dallas for USXpress on the 17th, I'm packing my sleeping bag and pillows in a larger one. I also have a briefcase that holds my laptop, trucker atlas, and all my other needed paperwork stuff.

7. Broken Spoke

Broken Spoke Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Tucson Arizona
    You could allways buy a tazer! LOL

8. matthewseed921

matthewseed921 Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Winchester, CA
    I think this is a great thread. It has been a big help for me. Just remember not to over pack. Just take what you think you will absolutely need. Your trainer will have everything else, that's what they are there for...

9. cookie278

cookie278 Medium Load Member

Dec 3, 2009
    WA
    Purex has these laundry/softener sheets. All in one, they look like heavy duty softener sheets. Just toss one in the wash, it releases the soap, then it acts as a softener sheet in the dryer.

They dont take up much room (i put several in a ziplock, ) they pack flat and are easy to use.

NachtFrost and CadetTrucker Thank this.
  10. Nomad 57

Nomad 57 Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Newnan, Georgia

I've seen these at the store. If they get your clothes clean, I think I'll pick some up. Like you said, they don't take up much space and are less expensive than soap at the T/S or terminal.

11. thefather

thefather Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Stillwater Oklahoma
    Thanks and Kudos to everyone who has posted on this thread. Lots of great ideas and strategies for making sure you have the needed stuff for being out for a couple weeks or more.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.