Packing List for Students

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by notarps4me, Jan 24, 2007.

1. dejo51

dejo51 Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2009
    was reading some posts about flash lights .mag lights were the the over all favorite followed by stream lite. does any one know how good snap on flash lites are and how they would compare

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    Never had a Snap on. Heard Stream lites were good. Owned a few Mag lites but.....I bought a Dorcy flashlight a few months ago on line and am very impressed with the quality and construction. It's Led and it shines further than any big Mag lite I ever owned and this is only 5.5 inches long with three aaa batteries. The down side is I found out it is made in China because I thought it was a stateside product. Nevertheless that will probably be my flashlight of choice next time I need one.

4. moonshadow

moonshadow Light Load Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Denver
    I've had both Streamlights and Maglites for years and both are very good.

I bought one of these and really like it: Terralux TLW-80 WorkStar 80 Rechargeable LED Work Light & Flashlight

For those of you who have either a Streamlight or Maglite, Terralux makes replacement bulbs to change your old flashlight into a LED wonder. Battery will last longer and is much brighter.

5. redhawk816

redhawk816 Bobtail Member

May 11, 2010
    State College, PA
    Can you tell me exactly why you should carry both your SSCard and your birth certificate with you? This seems like a VERY risky thing to do. Even just your SScard and a credit card is bad to have together. Would a passport suffice and be safer to carry with you? I'm just afraid that if those items were taken... say good bye to your identity as you know it.

6. madmoneymike5

madmoneymike5 Medium Load Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Because you might need multiple forms of ID and some places might not accept a passport as one. However, if you have a passport, I would bring it too. As a company driver for Swift, everyone at my orientatin had to show their social security card for buildig your employee folder. Just be smart about it and keep them stored safely, like in a small portable safe.

7. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    I'll be in Millington this time next Sunday. About all I've got left to do is load the wagon and hitch the mules but it's great to have a thread like this to remind me of what I just might have forgotten. Now, I could walk out the front door right now and head north to Millington and my little world here on the MS coast would keep right on spinning without me. But,
    to all those who have contributed to this thread, thanks!

Double jeopardy, folks! Oldnew.........in a Swift truck, HOT ####!:biggrin_25522:

8. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Don't worry Oldnewbie--hubby has repacked many many times since orientation and getting in his own truck-you will find most of the crap you took you don't need or want.
    So now that you will be a Swifty does this mean I better take care next Monday when I go out on the road????? :biggrin_25522::biggrin_25523: I hope you have time to continue to post as you have given me many laughs the last few months :biggrin_25525:

9. Thehousethatpeterbilt

Thehousethatpeterbilt Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2010
    new jersey
    So do these truck stop showers provide towels? I was gonna bring some towels but, having wet towels in a truck can't be good.

10. small_time 74

small_time 74 Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2009
    harpursville NY
  11. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Hey House peter built per Hubby: Loves, Pilot and TA do have towelsl and they are clean- TA will give you 2 towels and washcloth. There is also soap (liquid) or bar form available depending on place. Hubby said for the most part these ones are clean and safe but this is in the NE part of the county. Hope that helps

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.