Packing List for Students

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by notarps4me, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    You can get nylon duffel bags with a zipper on top and pockets on the outside. It's a heck of a lot easier to get what you need out instead of unpacking half of that US ARMY thing to get dressed! You will not get a cabinet when you go on your training flight unless you're real lucky. Duffel Bags are designed to carry every thing you own and then unload into your locker and be folded up and placed on the top shelf if memory serves me from 71-75! Heck, even Bass Pro has one that makes the Army one look like it was made for a Barbie doll even if they want a ton of money for the darn thing!

You have to remember that bus and airlines have a weight allowance if you use them! You also have to carry this monster AND shove it over your head into a truck seat!

Get the one I mentioned. A ski bag is as big and has the zipper on top for that easy access you'll need in the truck.

Besides, I'm sure you just want to pull all your stuff out onto your trainers bunk if he's one of those who still hasn't figured out you get a free shower with fuel and how to operate a washing machine and dryer! And just the idea of unpacking that often is crazy!

As to carrying a sleeping bag and pillows with you from home ...WHY? There are Walley Worlds,Targets and Kmarts everywhere you go. Wait until you get a trainer and he'll be glad to stop at one so you can get the things you need and if it happens throw away when you decide that trucking ain't your gig or he decides you can't drive and they send you home! Buses and airlines charge $50 for each extra checked bag and that cheap sleeping bag and $5 pillows are not worth the cost going or coming from a company! That is unless you've searched this forum before you committed to a trucking career and saw a few of my other posts advising you NOT to take a bus or flight to orientation but to drive yourself there so if worse comes to worse and you need to bail you'll have reliable transportation to where ever you need to go! To me Greyhound is way worse than riding with a co driver with hygiene issues as EVERYONE on that bus has hygiene issues! I'll drive or ride my bike before I do the big dog! And airlines are just to big of a PITA and expensive.

When you are talking to the recruiter tell them you prefer to drive your self or fly and usually they will reimburse you the cost of the bus ticket. That helps on a flight but is great on your gas in the car, P/U truck and especially on the bike!

One other thing I might bring up is try NOT to take a job with a company that is hundreds or thousands of miles away from home! You have to think of home times and yep the just in case you get canned deal! When canned most companies like to get their equipment back to the yard and that's where your ride should be sitting. You can unload your stuff right there and hit the road to your next adventure!

Good Luck
    Rollover

wolfen, KennLove and one37 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tifford

Tifford Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Greenville SC
    Thanks for the replies and the wisdom.

Well, I got the army duffle bag. I figure I'll pack my smaller pack with the frequently used items and put it on top. The two straps are what sold me. Throw it on your back and you have your hands still free. It is also nice if I go camping.

I've already got the sleeping bag since I go camping. Plus the CLD class offered at the local college still has 7 weeks left in it and right now I'm renting this room from this girl so the sleeping bag does double duty right now.

I was tempted to go with a bigger size pack but I'd be kidding myself if I ever really needed more than that. Sure it would be nice but we often take things we don't need.

Tonight I'll test pack it.
    -stove
    -small fry pan
    -cloths
    -bathroom stuff
    -shoes
    -mp3 player
    -book
    -bottled water

Once I get past being with a trainer I'll still do team but will add a few more goodies.

**Laptop I believe will fit nicely in the brief case

4. mogan2006

mogan2006 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2009
    fort myers, fl
    I am going OTR soon. Besides my clothes and a tooth brush, what do i need to bring with me? Television, DC refrigerator, ect.

5. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
  6. Dejocko

Dejocko Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2010
    chattanooga, tn
    I've been lurking about the forums off and on for about 9 months trying to gain as much information as possible and in the last 2 months been looking more closely at everything. I have tried to find out a good solid packing lists for both CDL School & Training and it seems like the 31 page post that is docked has alot of stuff spread out over to many pages. So I am going to take a shot at a packing list that I am planning on doing and perhaps get some feedback from more experienced drivers to make sure I've got the essentials without over packing.

CDL School List: I am going to C1 in Little Rock starting training on August 9th.

Since I'm not driving myself down there I am sort of torn on what to do for food as I wont have transportation. I am leaning towards this though so I don't have to bum rides to the store. Also based on Google maps nothing other than a "Gentleman's club" is within walking distance as far as potential places to eat go.

Lockable Bag 1:

6 Boxes of instant Oatmeal (eat 3 pouches for breakfast each day I'll be short 1 day but i figure I'll go out with the guys once or twice and have something I can eat leftover from my lunch/dinner)
    21 Lunches - microwavable non-perishable food items
    21 Dinners - microwavable non-perishable food items
    3 Microwavable Bowls
    Dish Soap
    Plastic Spoons/Forks
    Snacks

Lockable Bag 2:

7 Shirts
    3 Jeans
    3 Shorts
    1 Slacks
    7 Underwear
    7 Socks
    Belt
    Boots
    Laundry Soap
    Drawstring Dirty Clothes Bag
    Electric Razor
    Deodorant
    Toothpaste
    Toothbrush
    Shampoo
    2 Bars of soap

Lockable Laptop-Book-bag:

Laptop & Accessories
    Birth Certificate
    Social Security Card
    U.S. Passport
    Calculator
    Pens
    Highlighter
    Whiteout
    3 Ring Binder with paper
    Poncho (because I will always have this bag with me)

Sleeping Bag & Pillow

OTR Training Packing List:

Lockable Bag:
    6 Shirts
    2 Jeans
    2 Shorts
    7 Underwear
    7 Socks
    Belt
    Sandals (double as shower shoes and more comfortable to wear on downtime)
    Laundry soap
    Drawstring Dirty Clothes Bag
    Electric Razor
    Deodorant
    Toothpaste
    Toothbrush
    Shampoo
    Soap
    Flashlight
    Gloves

Lockable Laptop-Book-bag

Laptop & Accessories (charger & small cigarette lighter converter)
    Birth Certificate
    Social Security Card
    U.S. Passport
    Medical Card
    Calculator
    Pens
    Highlighter
    Whiteout
    Clip Board
    Poncho (because I will always have this bag with me)
    9 MRE's to make sure I don't interfere with my trainers plans the first few days (in case he has food on him for a few days)

Sleeping Bag & Pillow

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
    wolfen, one37 and dtcscout Thank this.
  7. Dejocko

Dejocko Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2010
    chattanooga, tn
    Am i planning on enough clothes for OTR Training or should I double it up? How often should I anticipate being able to do laundry?

8. dracon

dracon Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2008
    new york
    You will most probably have enough time once a week or ten days to do a load of laundry. A weeks worth of clothes should give you enough to be able to maintain some semblance of humanity. All of the larger, and most of the medium/smaller truck stops as well as the terminal locations, have laundry facilities. My trainer did not allow laptops on his truck, according to him they were a distraction and he felt the risk of damage to the laptop wasn't worth the risk. As you probably already know, you're not going to get a shower every day, it may sometimes be several before your schedule allows time. The rest of your list looks pretty good

9. tallcountry

tallcountry Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Winchester, Ohio
    everything i read on here says to take cloths 4 7 days and plan on jeans lasting 2 days

10. tallcountry

tallcountry Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Winchester, Ohio
    who are you going to be driving 4

11. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Yeah, read that list, if you are going out with a trainer there will not be enough room for all that stuff as the driver/trainer already has it. keep it to the basics untill you get your own truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.