Packing List for Students

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by notarps4me, Jan 24, 2007.

1. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

Your tickets will be more than that if you always trust your GPS.:biggrin_2554:

dirtyjerz Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. im6under

im6under Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    iowa
    I'm with "notarps". (for the most part)

I have a nice gps unit system on my lap top, 17" screen riding shotgun.

I use it for verification and close ups once in awhile but really the old paper atlas is the standby for 99% of my miles.

The gps is wrong a heck of a lot more often than the atlas and if I had to toss one it would definatly be the electronics.

To me, when you're using the gps, you kinda quit thinking because the gizmo is navigating for you, plus, your nose isn't stuck out the window where it should be.

The paper map forces you to be more engaged, which better.

Could just be me but that's how I see it.

4. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Wait till your going down a mountain and the GPS says turn left now.... Well; OK if you say so, I guess you know the quickest, shortest way down.........:biggrin_2559:

5. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

What do you mean for the most part????:biggrin_2559:

6. Phil1Fla

Phil1Fla Light Load Member

May 12, 2008
    Beavercreek, Oregon
    Don't get directions over the radio...you might find your self at a dead end with no way out....it has happened. then someone say I'll help you out and you lose some freight. or cash.......

ShamrockSalono Thanks this.
  7. chargingbear

chargingbear Light Load Member

May 11, 2008
    murray , utah
    more engaged, in map reading while driving will cause a more likely of a chance of a accident , i notice that i am a lot more confident and relaxed with my gps giving directions.

8. chargingbear

May 11, 2008
    murray , utah
    a gps is much better too follow in heavy city traffic in salt lake city area in utah, say in rush hour traffic on the freeway, it has save me many times of head aches like wrong turns dead ends and missing turn offs..

nqSupes Thanks this.
  9. chargingbear

May 11, 2008
    murray , utah
    i use paper around 10% of the time and gps around 90 % yes it took me too a few dead ends but it save me, got me too a delivery 90% on the spot, and 50% faster then i would of if i used the old map. so i am going with stats GPS WINS over all

10. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Will also route you under low bridges and restricted routes. Better have plenty of cash on you one of these days you will need it.:biggrin_2554:

I am medicineman Thanks this.
  11. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I am waiting on the paul harvey story one of these days... and now you know the rest of the story.... only a matter of time before something bad happens here. I am not saying don't use them. I have one, but don't get to where you can't do your job without one......

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.