Packing List for Students

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by notarps4me, Jan 24, 2007.

1. darkmelin

darkmelin Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2012
    lakeland,fl
    The list is very helpfull. And the laptop advice is also very helpfull. Thank you for your assistance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    number one important thing is a military type duffel bag that will lay flat under your mattress otherwise a suitcase you live with in your bunk and make the trainer grumpy

4. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Rollover: this is an old post but since it is still out here I thought of one thing else you need to post on the list; For those taking prescription medications, you need to make sure to have a current prescription on hand at some place like a Walmart where it can be easily filled if need be. This may mean that you have to go to your local doctor and have it written; don't get out someplace like Salt Lake City and your home is in Mobile, AL and dr. won't write it without seeing you; dm's have a fit on stuff like this.

Oh and my husband works for the other national lease/fleece company. No money if you don't train.

5. T-Lady

T-Lady Medium Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Wautoma, WI
    I really got lucky when I was set up with my trainer. His only rule was "don't kill the trainer." He drives a 2012 Cascadia and I had the middle cubby behind the drivers seat (18" x 18" x 2', roughly) and the closet right over that to store my gear. I used a small rolling case meant for sewing machines, a mid sized duffel (maybe 18" x 12" x 24"), a square throw pillow and my quilt, which is a patchwork style, not too thick.
    He never batted an eye, I was just asked, "anything else?" I tried to be super aware of my stuff, and kept it out of his space...except a sock that snuck behind the bunk and wound up on his stuff. We got along great, he even supplies sheets and a pillow for students...I think if you try to keep a reasonable limit on how much is brought along, while not leaving stuff like soap, deodorant and toothpaste behind, most trainers should be willing and able to help a student figure out how/where to secure things that might not fit in cabinets.
    At night, I would put my duffel on the passenger seat, when we drove it was secured in the sleeper.

dixiekitten39 and Everett Thank this.
  6. NEWEST NEWBY

NEWEST NEWBY Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Duluth, Minnesota
    As a recent CDL school graduate (Lake Superior College - Duluth, MN), I can really appreciate each of the Packing List suggestions. I'll be getting a chance to build my own cache of gear as I start with a local trucking firm next week.

I'm a newby and I know it and believe realizing that is going to help me in the long run... :)

7. dr.frankenstine

dr.frankenstine Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2012
    keep a thermos for water:filled near the coffee pots usally for free., instant just add water stuff> mashed potaters, noodl family size.s and soup, get a jug or two for clean water. buy a 12 volt water heater its like a coffee pot butmore compact hot choclate, instant coffee for me.(heck I chew that stuff and make my cowboy coffee) fruits FRUITS!!! buy wide mouth drinks like poweraid (keeep the pottle) you can usally get tin foods that dont need chilled nor heated with pull tops. I havent used a nuclearwave oven in years! thinking bout getting a 12volt crockpot with secured locks on handles and plastic liners. breakfast bars i love them banana bread ones,and oatmeal raisen. roman noodles get a few in cups you can crush up the ramon bricks and reuse that cup. summer sausage by the foot. dried meats. plenty of cashews (I don't like peanuts)protein. presweetened koolaid. dont forget a mess kit> knife fork spoon x3 and camping dishs they have a nice flat bottom and have bowl sides bring along a short tub if you wanna. nothing glass nothing ceramic. dont cook your soup in its can youd get sick after awhile. and know what kinda. stay away from chips theyll kill ya. know your food balance and needs.:O_o_1PIRATES21: just remember the auto and camping area is our area at wallmart. from fuses to blue tabs.

8. SmoothBore

SmoothBore Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2011
    The Desert
    Lube, and lots of it. To help prepare for the a-- raping you will recive that only a training company can provide!

9. Hightide

Hightide Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Austin,Texas
    Thanks. Excellent heads up. Will come in handy for alot of guys/gals...

10. Quickfarms

Quickfarms Heavy Load Member

May 29, 2012
    Los Angeles, Ca
  11. Everett

Everett Crusty Shorts, What???

Oct 20, 2009
    Hampton,Ia
    here''s on i thought of today , a real handy tool too, but what it looks like a pen, but the end pulls out about 1 foot or so , on the end is a small glass mirror, this would great for checking ball joint's with out getting close or getting dirty, or looking on the underside of drive belt's, or brake inspections , this would be a great tool to have and stow away in your toolbox, also thought i had , if you have the money , by a vacuum food sealer , you can make meal's at home , seal-freeze and when ready too go out threw in your ice box

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.