Packing List for Students

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by notarps4me, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Pasquale

Pasquale Medium Load Member

Dec 18, 2013
    Soap on a rope is always a good idea

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Naw... it always makes me lose my grip and I fall...

4. MOGLAR

MOGLAR Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Kansas City , MO
    The biggest thing you need to do is have all your documents (as indicated above) scanned and saved to a flash drive and stored in a safe place...or a cloud. This way if anything ever happens you have a back up of all your stuff.

Ford L8000 Thanks this.
  5. JustNva

JustNva Light Load Member

May 9, 2014
    Virginia
    This thread is busting at the seams with excellent information. Thank you all for that. There's probably hundreds of years of combined experience here....it's all priceless and there's no way to describe my appreciation of everyone on this board.

There is one thing I can't quite figure out though. Everyone says to pack light and to only bring what you need while on the trainer's truck and that you can dress up your own truck as you wish once you get it. That makes perfect since to me and I understand it, but I don't understand it. You go to orientation, you go out with a trainer, then you go back to the terminal presumably for testing out and truck assignment, right? Alright, so now you've got your own truck and you're ready to roll except you don't have everything because you packed lightly for your time on the trainer's truck. What do you do now?

6. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Good observation, JustNva. I packed light to go to orientation, then got immediately into a trainer's truck, then again immediately into my own truck and stayed on the road a few weeks before taking home time. Fortunately my brother dropped off a few tools when I got my own truck, otherwise I'd have had to purchase a few essential items (like vice grips, etc.). It was sparse for those first few weeks before I got home and added a few more items. Sleeping bag on a bare mattress, etc.

Even then as a company driver I minimize what I have on the road. In my first 14 months with the company I've driven seven different trucks. If you have a lot of stuff it's a major pain to change trucks. Now as a trainer I even paired it down a little more just to make sure there is enough room for my student to be comfortable (unlike my own experience as a trainee).

Rule of thumb is if I'm not using it frequently, then it doesn't belong on the truck.

7. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    I did training thing. Brought enough to use on truck tool wise, ie multiman tool, flashlight, bought tire thumper and atlas while in training. Then requested hometime, hadn't been home in six weeks. Went to Atlanta to get truck. Got load Atl to Indy, Indy to Columbus OH, drove home. Got what I needed, came back

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Although it's been mentioned a few times on this thread, it bears repeating that you should leave wheeled or hard sided luggage at home, especially large luggage. There simply isn't space in a truck to stow it, unless you like shortening your bunk.

I made plenty of cupboards, drawers, and under bunk space for my student. He got everything squared away easily, but can't fit it under the bunk even though that space is wide open. The bunk heater and Qualcomm take up space so it won't fit in my model truck.

Previously my teammate took up most of the available space under the bunk with a big hard sided suitcase, filled with his clothes. Every time he needed clothes it was a production, propping up the bunk and opening the suitcase. Taking home time meant wrestling the heavy suitcase out.

Bring duffel bags. After squaring away your stuff you can stow the empty duffel easily, or use it to fill the gap at the head of the bunk so your pillow can have a level surface.

9. Gordon A

Gordon A Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2013
    Just my 2 cts worth, but if students remember that going out with a trainer is a temporary situation and should pack for it.
    Your not going out on a date nor a long vacation, so pack accordingly.
    Do not take your best favorite jacket or jeans.
    Do take Comfortable shoes and a pair of gloves.
    Like Lepton1 says duffel bags or soft sided bags. Easy storage. Students don't need tools. or laundry stuff nor weeks of clothes. Pack light. If extra is the urge take rain gear. jacket and maybe pants. Remember your sharing another drivers home away from home. Be respectful. Anything you need that you did not take is available on the road. It is the personal items that are important. Deodorant first on the list. tooth past and a brush ,hair shampoo.

Side Note! if you don't smoke and the trainer does you are Going to be in an enclosed space like a trapped animal. If smoke bothers you ,consider putting this requirement on the list for potential trainers. A NON SMOKER. Or the other way around .You smoke tell them so the trainer is aware of it. It is called consideration .

I trained my better half. Since there were no female trainers available I was suggested to her. Her demands to the company were simple... As long as he does not smoke and is not a complete ### ho1e. I did not smoke and evidently not a complete AH. So we are together today 22 years later.

Lepton1, dtcscout and Rattlebunny Thank this.
  10. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Two questions:

1) Does anyone have this list as a downloadable PDF/Word/Excel document that I can copy and print?

2) Is there a good study aid/book that is more detailed and better written than the one provided by California's DMV for the CDL tests? I would like to see if I can find one at a local bookstore (yes, I still like going into bookstores and libraries once in a while)....

11. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    How does a trainee tell whoever needs to know that he/she does not want any trainer to teach him/her any bad habits?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.