Packing List for Students

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by notarps4me, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Rattlebunny

Rattlebunny Medium Load Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Elkton, VA
    I don't think that any company would want that either. Most trainers at larger companies go through a "Train the Trainer" course that teaches them how to instruct and how to help avoid and train out the bad habits of students.

You won't have to ask for that ... but if you get a trainer that is teaching bad habits, in most cases, you can ask for a different trainer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gordon A

Gordon A Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2013
    Bad habits are learned and it is a choice. Tell them you don't want to learn bad habits from a trainer and you may be considered a nut case. If your trainer likes to wait till the last minute to apply the brakes that is a bad habit to pick up. Doesn't use a turn signal ,? Bad habit. Cuts in too close after passing? Your choice. We all do some things a bit different than some one else but manage to get the job done. Bad habits can be either learned or not. If your in doubt just ask them why do they do that, that way. , Remember that not all trainers can communicate with every one. It is OK to ask for a different trainer if there is a communication issue. I never had a problem if we could not communicate when I was training. It happens. My job was to train them to not just drive and back and parallel park and do logs but to learn what I could teach about the industry and how it works, How to set up and just as important how to communicate with dispatch.

Lepton1 and Rattlebunny Thank this.
  4. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Ok. I went looking today for items I need, based on the list I was given by an employer (I have everything else on their list, but need a flashlight, new bag, and gloves) and seek advice as to what will work best, see attached pictures. I went to Sam's Club and found a 3 pack of leather work gloves for $20, a 10 pack of Nitrile work gloves for $9, a 3 pack of LED flashlights for $20, and a rolling 30" duffle bag for $70 ( I found something similar at Target for $90). I also found a couple of different flashlights at Walmart (same shopping center), one battery powered for $20 and the other rechargeable (with 12v and wall cables) for $35, they are very similar.

Which would you advise? Is the 30" duffle bag small enough to not cause a problem? I like the idea of the nitrile 10 pack gloves because it isn't a BFD if I lose one or two, but for our purposes, are they sufficient, or should I go with the leather kind?

Also, somewhere in this thread, someone mentioned showers while on the road. My question is, how many of you are a member of a health club with a national presence (like a Bally's or a 24 Hour Fitness) and have what they call an 'All Club" membership, giving you privileges at any of their locations? The way I see it, whenever you have a layover/required break from the road and can stop at one of their locations, you can get a workout in and a clean shower. I think an 'All Club' membership for 24 hour fitness is only $5-$10 more per month than a single club membership (which means that you only have access to your "home club").

Attached Files:

5. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Get a head lamp too that goes over hat. Very effective doing pretrips in dark

6. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    I am looking for a combo pack that includes a handheld/standable and a headlamp; but so far I am unsuccessful. I will be looking at REI and Home Depot either today or tomorrow though.

7. mskitty76

mskitty76 Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2012
    San Antonio, TX
    From personal experience, I can tell you that a rolling duffel isn't really a great idea. You need something that can be fixed our wadded up and stuffed in as small a space as possible. I like leather gloves for fueling the truck, I've seen Chiron, "latex", etc. That comes down to preference. If you are going to be unloading trailers, you'll probably want leather. In regards to gyms, most are in shopping centers, and most shopping centers discourage trucks in their parking lots. The type of flashlight you are considering depends on the type of work you're looking at. If otr, a mag light is great (flashlight and head knocked in one). If oilfield, a headlamp. Get flip flops for showers. Hope that helps.

8. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

Harbor Freight. They are the proverbial candy store for truckers, and not just for cheap bungees.

6 pack of cheap work gloves: $5. I get a month out of a pair, and toss them when they get too grungy. Used when hooking/dropping a trailer; the landing gear crank handle can generate a set of blisters in a hurry. You really don't need a whole lot of abrasion resistance.

100 pack of Light Duty Nitrile Gloves: $6. I use for fueling, and with care, a pair will last a week. In winter, I put them over a cheap ($1) pair of jersey gloves. My first box lasted me about a year.

Flashlight: I use the light from the 18V 3/8" cordless drill and flashlight combo that is often on sale for $20. I think I've used the drill twice, but the flashlight gets near-daily use for pretrips. Don't skimp on your light! I recommend an LED light; they survive being dropped a lot better than the traditional incandescents.

Duffle: I got the Samsonite "Tote-A-Ton" duffle bag from Amazon; $25. It really does hold a lot, and is huge... and takes very little space when empty. Can make a passable pillow with clothes in it.

9. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Msjamie is right...don't skimp on your light. I have a mag light. Well did, but mechanic at last company stole it, long story, so I was given present at Christmas that is a flashlight lantern combo. Cheap but works. Still getting mag light though

10. mgriffin94

mgriffin94 Bobtail Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Bedford, TX
  11. Gordon A

Gordon A Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2013
    Just make sure that what you take you can do without if the worst happens. Expensive now is not the way to go. As a student your trainer has the basics like flash lights. concentrate on personal stuff. That other stuff can be bought after your done training. Just ask your self what you really need and what you want. Two distinct differences.
    Keep the receipts they are all for the most part tax deductible.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.