Padlocks

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by AM14, Jan 6, 2017.

1. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    I lost about 45 minutes this morning trying to get my padlock off. Heat, PB blaster, and bolt cutters. Wound up breaking one key and eventually got the dang thing to turn. The recieving clerk was of course oh so understanding...yea ok. I went through a few
    cheap company supplied padlocks last winter then bought a couple higher end "weatherproof" locks about $30 each. I guess I used this last one, one time too many though.

I'm going to pick up some 3 in 1 oil to try and make them last longer but what kind of locks are you guys using? Is it better to spend money on a higher end lock or buy a case of cheapos and replace them more often? Also what about keyless combination locks, how do they stand up to the weather, road vibration, etc. I only haul paper roll stock and coffee cups BTW. Nothing high value. If someone wants to try and steal some rolls I'll sit back and grab some popcorn.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blazer1

blazer1 Light Load Member

Sep 5, 2010
    so. jersey
    I go to the dollar store, buy a cheap bottle of motor oil, dump the oil into a bowl, bucket, whatever and dump the padlocks in too and keep the padlocks submerged for 24 hours or longer. I have never had a padlock, cheap or expensive, fail on me. I do this once a year.

AM14, Snailexpress and Ruthless Thank this.
  4. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    they want us to use locks on our trailers but it's pointless. the trailer is getting unloaded everytime we stop, unless fueling. last time i checked no one has broken into a trailer while it was in motion. too much of a hassle if it freezes, I'll pass.

AM14 and pattyj Thank this.
  5. Byx

Byx Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Use a lock with lube points, keep it clean. I use wd40 rust release to clean mine. I have two, I change them out every once in a while. If you use oil beware some of the brands gunk up locks at low Temps.

High % alcohol and some time in the sidebox before you wd40 will help too (gets rid of water and salt residue.) After I spray a lock with alcohol and let it dry I wd40 it.

aussiejosh, Lepton1 and Big Don Thank this.
  6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Some companies require it.I drove for a company that required you lock your trailer whether it's full or empty,lock your fuel cap,lock your gladhands if you drop the trailer while on home time and we had to lock the yellow and red brk every time we left the truck which I never did because I had a heck of a time figuring out the lock thingy.If security for the company seen you came in with an unlocked trailer he was to report us.

sherlock510 and AM14 Thank this.
  7. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    WD 40 and soak it up good whenever it gets to acting sluggish.

Have a big lock that I've had for years, its got a few nicks from people trying to cut it unsuccessfully before I got it.

I have a toggle lock I use in better conditions, but really, where I run, locking is seldom needed.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    TravR1 and AM14 Thank this.
  8. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Try to say it against the Commifonia supreme court judge.
    Specially if trailer is placarded and terrorists can use HM against the public of Commifornia regardless vehicle is moving 55 mph.
    I still have strong fillings after $5000.00 fine for unsecured HM load.

RollingRecaps and AM14 Thank this.
  9. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    If it's going to get really cold. I will take my lock off. Not worth the hassle.

Most locks can be cut off easily enough anyway if someone wants to get into the trailer.
    Also most guys don't seem to use locks anyway.

AM14 Thanks this.
  10. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I just dealt with this myself while I had a few days off over the holidays. I blasted them with brake cleaner, then used an air compressor to blow out as much crud as I could. A good soak with PB Blaster, and they work like brand new locks.

One of my coworkers takes those plastic sandwich bags and wraps up his locks after putting them on the trailers, then secures the bags with a rubber band to keep the dirt and moisture out. It looks kind of goofy, but he's not always having to clean or replace his padlocks either.

Duurtipoker and true blue Thank this.
  11. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    Thanks everyone. I've had them stick before but never like this morning. I'll try soaking it and pick up a new one to take better care of. Might try that ziploc bag idea too. On a somewhat related note, I saw a Metropolitan trailer today that had a sign saying it had an alarm system. Is there a keypad inside that the driver has to disarm? Or is this just a false deterent. Simply out of curiosity.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.