Paid CDL options in Phoenix?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by SettleDown, Oct 5, 2018.

1. SettleDown

SettleDown Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2018
    Veryblessed Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Werner owns AIT and Roadmaster; that's why those schools push Werner.

4. Mrrepomanaz

Mrrepomanaz Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2017
    So I have been in the class since Monday. We go take our permit tests tomorrow. So far the class has been a class. Literally read the book, review the book via power point then watch a video from 1986 on the stuff we just already covered twice in the book. It basically seems like all they do is gear you up to pass the test. When going over coupling the instructor told us they don't even teach it, it's for our trainers to teach us. I mean the class is ok, but it just really seems like they are focused on getting you to pass the test and out the door so they can fill up the next class. I'll let ya know more the next week as far as how they do stuff.

5. SettleDown

Oct 5, 2018
    Thanks for the report. So far sounds about like what I expected. I'm pretty sure the guy I talked to said the first TWO weeks were in the class before you head out to the truck. Have any companies come through yet to give you their recruiting talk? I just got my CA license transferred to AZ last week and picked up the CDL manual while I was there. Guess I should probably start studying.

6. Mrrepomanaz

Dec 4, 2017
    No not yet, but they are definitely pushing Werner, Schneider.. I was talking with a friend who went through the company training and it seems like they do a little more hands on.. I mean they aren't teaching us to hook up lol!!! There has been so many questions asked by people in my class and the answer is, nope we don't teach you that, your trainer will teach you that. Basically you are paying to pass the basics to get the test in my opinion. I think they could teach a lot more for the money you spend.

7. SettleDown

Oct 5, 2018
    Yep sounds like just the basics to get the CDL and then you're on your own. I just got a text today that the tuition is going up for 2019 and if I want to save money I should sign up before 1/1/19. Good luck the rest of the way. I'd be interested in your opinions of the different companies when they do start coming through. Thanks!

8. Mrrepomanaz

Dec 4, 2017
    Ok, so I've made it through the first two weeks of classroom stuff. Lots of test and boring videos from the 1980s lol.. I was able to end up with an overall grade of 98%. So as far as classroom stuff I'm not sure the school is worth it. If you study the local cdl manual and then download dmv genie or cdl test prep on your phone and study you will be able to pass the permit no problem. I'm not knocking the school, but when the instructor has to constantly change the material to be current it kinda runs me the wrong way, especially after hearing how much school cost people. I mean for 7 grand they dont even have current training aids?? As far as the driving portions I cant speak on it yet because I haven't started It. I have spoken to a few of the people from the class ahead of mine and they seemed happy with it. Tons of them had never driven a stick let alone driven a truck. Another thing that kinda bothered me was they over booked the class for the amount of trucks and trainers they have. They are making some people switch to nights to to training or forcing them to train and test in the automatic truck so they end up with the auto only on their license.

Over all I think it would be a good school if you have zero clue about trucks/mechanical knowledge. After talking with a few friends who have gone to company training, if I had to do it again I would go that route. It just seems like the training with the company is way more hands on. I know the year contract slot of companies want if they train you is a big deal, but look at it this way, its job security if you dont screw up lol.. I will keep ya in the loop about the driving/backing portion next week once I get that started. But in all honesty after you mentioned your financial situation I'd really recommend finding a company that offers driver training in house. I think it would be more beneficial and give you and edge over a guy like me that came from a private school throw into a truck with a trainer. But that's just my opinion.

KevinM816 and Wrecked_Harley Thank this.
  9. SettleDown

Oct 5, 2018
    Thanks for the update. Kind of sounds to me like it's not really worth it, not for what they're charging anyway. Like you said, there's enough resources available to get the permit on your own without spending two weeks in class watching old, out of date videos. I guess there's something to be said for having an instructor to ask questions, but then you've got forums like this to ask questions.

So most of the money is essentially going for truck time, and if they're overbooked, that's not a good sign. Hopefully you'll get plenty of practice time. One thing that the guy did tell me though is that they'll let you stay there until you pass, whereas a company would most likely cut their losses and send you home. I think ultimately I'll go for a company program. I know Knight says on their website they don't have an employment contract, just an agreement to pay back the cost of training, and since they're here in Phoenix that could work out. Although part of me almost wants to try Swift just because they get so much ####, lol. Good luck with the driving. I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on any recruiters that come through.

10. Mrrepomanaz

Dec 4, 2017
    Sorry I haven't gotten back to ya, life has been hectic and throwing in school 10 hours a day doesn't help. We are now out of the classroom and doing driving and backing. 4 students to a truck. You usually do backing half the day and driving the other half. The driving portion you get about 45 min to an hour each day. The backing you usually get more time, it just depends on the other students in your truck and their abilities. Yes they definitely make sure you pass the cdl. But that's about it. Honestly if I didn't have my gi bill to pay for it I would have done company training. I donth think the money they charge us worth it. I can say all the instructors are really good at what they do and really work with ya if you aren't grasping the concept. I'm fortunate enough to have experience with trucks and trailers(not semi trucks) so I am not having any problems. Good luck with your decision bro. If I were you save the money and have a company train you, there is a million companies hiring that will train you.

11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Yeah cdl school only helps u to pass the test nothing more nothing less... U will learn alot with ur trainer but thats still nothing compared to what u learn in ur first couple months on ur own thats when the real learning begins... Good luck with whatever company u chose .. Flatbed pays more if u aint afraid to get dirty and work hard ... I seen those white mountain trucks everywhere at the cmc plant in queen creek, they got nice pretty green trucks not sure what they pay tho all i know is they haul a #### ton of rebar

Mrrepomanaz Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.