PAM drivers

Discussion in 'PAM' started by machineman4223, Jan 18, 2013.

1. machineman4223

machineman4223 Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Nashville TN
    Is it just me or does PAM exclusively hire from the bottom of the barrel? I have crossed quite a few PAM drivers that have done some really dumb ####. Top example a PAM driver pulled in the auto only entrance at a loves, long story short he hit some crap. Just the other day had a PAM guy pass me on the right when I had got in the hammer lane to give a tow truck with a 4 wheeler some room needless to say he could of killed the tow truck driver very easy. I seen more than this just the two recent examples. Has anyone else encountered a non driving PAM driver?

mattbh23 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Hire just out of school drivers and put with trainer for 2 weeks. Do the math.

mattbh23 and djtrype Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    All companies seem to have "rookie super truckers". They think the, move over for emergency vehicles law, doesn't apply to them. What I do is move over and keep the right wheels on the center line, not leaving enough room for the idiot drivers to squeeze in between. Even then some of them scream profanities over the CB with stupid remarks like, "you're holding me up, I have a truck payment to make, and can't slow down." I've even had them call me a rookie driver, saying things like,"no driver that has much time behind the wheel pays that law any attention, why don't you just park that truck instead of blocking the hammer lane." A lot of drivers would be out of work if the laws required some type of IQ test to get a CDL.

mattbh23 and dloving8915 Thank this.
  5. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I don't even get that far over. I'll stay half and half, until I'm just about on the cop, wrecker, etc, before moving a full lane over.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. rustychute

rustychute Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2013
    miami, fl
    that emergency vehicle thing is what rooky drivers do. anyone with any sense or common courtesy move over. doesnt matter what vehicle your in. hell i move over in my car.

mattbh23 Thanks this.
  7. mattbh23

mattbh23 Heavy Load Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Benton Harbor, MI
    Yes I have encountered non-driving PAM drivers and one was my 2nd co-driver. Oh Lord had a scary thought he's still my teammate when I get off medical leave damnmit to hell. My co-driver, has no sense of direction what so ever, qualcomm skills were bottom of the barrel, tried to tell me how to run things and that I didn't know nothing because I have only been driving for 7 months. Well he had to eat those words, because that's when my liver and gallbladder had a fight and I had to sit out of the truck for a few months...call him the Monday I got admitted to the Hospital and let him know..he calls me later that day asking question after question. and he blew two loads, one going to Laredo and the other going to South Carolina.

He was stuck in Chicago for two days, because he didn't know where to go. When I was in the truck with him he was about to turn in the auto entrance so many times at truckstops, missing the signs, getting lost 4 or 5 times in one day. I call him a few weeks ago to see how he was doing (when I got sick, I got a call everyday from him asking me stuff, I had to ignore calls) he tells me oh I was ready to go back out and they still had me sitting at home until Wednesday (this was after Christmas) and he was complaining that he was not getting miles and that he was ready for me to come back.

The next thing he told me, made me want to jump into the phone and choke him....He calls dispatch (mistake #1) tells them that he is out of hours and needs to shut down. Whoever was in dispatch told him to drive to the Irving yard and yes he got yelled at by logs...never ever take office for they word, get it in writing if they tell you to move. So yeah I think it's a lot of this going around PAM, lack of common sense and know it allness.

newbietrucker007 and dloving8915 Thank this.
  8. Milktanker

Milktanker Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Frenchtown, mt
    I always move over. I spent several years fixing trucks and changing tires on the side of the freeway and I've had to dive under the trailer more than once to avoid being run over. Always drives me nuts when I see cars doing 75+ driving 2 feet away from a guy on the shoulder.

9. dloving8915

dloving8915 Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    Pam drivers are not the only one holding the wheel of stupidity. But, yes had a Pam driver argue with me that I needed to move out of a spot I was parked in because she could NOT get her 53 footer into a bobtail spot!

10. machineman4223

machineman4223 Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Nashville TN
    its just I seem to encounter more from them then any other company. Most would think swift or the other big companies. it was just an observation.

11. airforcetoo

airforcetoo Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Up in the air
    LOL Hey!!! We aren't all bad! Well this is what I've noticed firsthand; I think that maybe the problem might be the pay, every PAM driver I encounter has this comment. They teach you how to do things right (though I wasnt one of those 2 weekers) so I wouldn't blame the training department ... At least they taught me right... safety is really up to the individual, that's why I say the pay cause a lot of these guys are behind on there Bills which makes em rush like madmen, that and I would say the sometimes imposible loads they give you. There are good dispatchers in that office but I'm beginning to believe that one bad apple can ruin the whole farm... It just takes one of them to mess up the master plan or not take care of an emergency in a timely manner. AND communication is the key to any successful relationship, I've had dms call me with a very angry and condascending tone, usually I just take a deep breath and speak in an almost whisper back to them, calms them down 99% of the time. So for the most part I guess what I'm saying is that many PAM drivers out there are stressed out and stress causes accidents. Add stress to inexperience and you get a disaster waiting to happen. New drivers out there, please be safe before all else. The money will come in its due time. The Bill collector can wait, dispatch can wait, the 4 wheeler with road rage tailgating u can wait... Don't make a mistake where u will be waiting in court for the judge to decide if you were negligent or not, especially if it involves another life. Stay safe PAM rookies!

mattbh23 and Pegasus50 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.