PAM Good or Bad

Discussion in 'PAM' started by 777lonewolf, Apr 7, 2008.

Would you consider Pam a good starter Company for a Newbie?

Poll closed Nov 23, 2009.
  1. Yes

50.0%
  2. *

No

50.0%
  1. gilbertbs2000

gilbertbs2000 Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Carrollton, Georgia
    I'm supposed to be starting at Pam Transportation in December. I'm going to the school C1 Truck Driver training in Indy. Any suggestions or comments about working for Pam? Also, how about the school... What does the typical Pam truck come with? Fridge, inverter, etc.... Also, what are the idle limits if there are any. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jezter5677

jezter5677 Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2009
    I went thru the C-1 in Fort Wayne and liked it..the hotel wasn't 5 star but, I had a warm bed, hot shower and internet so no complaints..as far as equip in the truck they don't come with any, what your trainer has in his truck is his personal equip. Their are no idle limits, if im hot I run the AC if I'm cold I run the heat plain and simple...never said any thing to me about idle times

gilbertbs2000 Thanks this.
  4. gilbertbs2000

gilbertbs2000 Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Carrollton, Georgia
    thanks Jezter. I have been looking at all the forums and didn't see much about Pam so I thought I would ask. Do you know what type of trucks they have. And, are all of them automatics? I've driven a super ten before I'm just curious. Also, what are their speed. I hope that it would run at least 60. Thanks for your time

5. o88mike

o88mike Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Allentown New Jersey
    Got my CDL in late Sept. Just have been hired by PAM.
    It looks like they are one of the better "started companies" out there. I don't believe a word that comes out of any recruiter's mouth.....why should I.
    What could be the soonest I can get back home after i ship out?
    Does anyone know if as a newbie I could be home the day after Thanksgiving?
    How is their 2 day orientation?
    How is the equipment?
    Do they actually treat you like a human being?
    Since I can't afford a $600 GPS, what motor carrier maps should I buy as an OTR driver?
    Im not oblivious to the trucking world. I've been a trl. mech. for 12 years.
    Does anyone have any tips or helpful info?
    Are log books gonna drive me nuts?....seems like you have to pay VERY CLOSE att. to get your book perfect everyday.

6. OAKR

OAKR Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Freeman MO
    lets take your questions one at a time...

What could be the soonest I can get back home after i ship out?
    you will go out with a trainer for 30 days minimum. there is no breaks in the time your out.

Does anyone know if as a newbie I could be home the day after Thanksgiving?
    if this is after your trainer get you, no. if you want to wait till after then to go out with the trainer, let them know that when they call and it can most likely be worked out.

How is their 2 day orientation?
    very relaxed and informative.

How is the equipment?
    your first truck will most likely have 300k miles or more on them. If you dont wreck it and make your delivery on time, at 6mo or so you will be called in for a newer truck. after you have some time in (a year to two) you will most likely find yourself in a new one when they retire the one your in.

Do they actually treat you like a human being?
    yes but keep your driver manager posted to what is going on. they cant help they dont know. let them know when your running out of hours before you get there, exp if they give you a long run you know you cant make.

Since I can't afford a $600 GPS, what motor carrier maps should I buy as an OTR driver?
    get the rand mcnally drivers atlas at your local truckstop. if possible get this years when you see it on clearance after to 2010 comes out. you will have directions on your qualcomm for most of your runs.

Im not oblivious to the trucking world. I've been a trl. mech. for 12 years.
    Does anyone have any tips or helpful info?
    do your daily pretrip like you were taught. LISTEN TO YOUR TRAINER, HE KNOWS WHAT WORKS. THE SCHOOL TAUGHT YOU WANT YOU NEEDED TO GET YOU CDL ONLY.

Are log books gonna drive me nuts?....seems like you have to pay VERY CLOSE att. to get your book perfect everyday.
    nothing will get you shut down faster in the scales than you log...if you have a laptop you can get gps and logbook software for about $100 total. it will help to doublecheck, but you can do it with one of the calculators at the truckstop too. they are about $30.
    DO WHAT YOUR TRAINER SAYS WHILE WITH HIM, BUT THIS IS MY WAY OF DOING IT...
    POP THE STAPLES AND RUN YOU LOG LOOSELEAF...IF YOU HAVE TO MAKE A CORRECTION (IE....JUGGLE THE BOOKS) IT MAKES IT LOOK RIGHT. YOU GET TO KEEP THE ORIGINAL SO TOSS THE YELLOW AND FILE THE WHITE AFTER YOU TRANSFLOW IT.

if you see them, get a set of tandem stoppers, they save a lot of time getting the tandems adjusted.

any other questions, contact me by going to qrz.com and looking up my call sign n0vyf in the search box. my email will be on the detail page.

7. jezter5677

Jun 11, 2009
    Types of trucks, freightliners and internationals, as of right now all automatics, although I have heard some talks about a limited number of manuals being ordered, and all our trucks are governed out at 64 mph

8. jasper_truck86

jasper_truck86 Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Georgia
    jezter5677, I was wondering how you like driving for PAM? Are they a decent starter company? Are the paycheck deductions & low miles as bad as what I've heard? Thanks in advance

9. jezter5677

Jun 11, 2009
    I actually like working for pam, the deductions are the 5% of the top, supposed to be temporary, and then you have the weekly deductions for the school, and what ever advances you take during the week. Lets see in the month of dec I took a week of at the end of the month for christmas, and lost a weekend due to a water pump going bad, so in all 10 days total, I still managed to get 7900 miles for the month, I have been averaging right around 2500 a week

jasper_truck86 Thanks this.
  10. jasper_truck86

jasper_truck86 Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Georgia
    Thanks for the info. I have read several of your posts and it seems you and I have the same work ethic. Run hard, run clean, get paid. I think for the most-part, companies will recognize this and reward drivers for it. To me, anything over 2,000 miles/week for a new-hire would be great. Thanks again!

11. jezter5677

Jun 11, 2009
    I think my best week was 4200 miles and ran my arse off for those 4200 miles...but for the most part right around 2500 a week average

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.