Pam transport ends up in the river

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by drvrtech77, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Driver202099

Driver202099 Bobtail Member

May 11, 2018
    I went to truck driving school with Boggs. He was a real cool guy hell of a driver!!! He was asleep (trainee) and his trainer was the one who feel asleep behind the wheel. Sad story as trainer your supposed to be the professional we’re not super truckers pull over get some rest and live. Condolences to both families just unfortunate

2. Zer0chick

Zer0chick Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2018
    USA
    The trainee was my friend. We went to cdl school together.

3. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    That sucks. That is weird how close we got with the other people in CDL school.

Zer0chick Thanks this.
  4. Zer0chick

Zer0chick Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2018
    USA
    My co-driver was his roommate & is also my friend from cdl school ;)

tucker Thanks this.
  5. Warrior Cat

Warrior Cat Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Is 'CDL School' something like 'SJW School'? Evergreen State College in Washington State? Inquiring minds want to know!

I seem to recall that Swift's 'CDL School' in Memphis was shut down a few years back. All sarcasm aside, RIP to both of these people - a compound tragedy if there ever was one. Something similar happened close to me a couple of years ago - don't remember the carrier. Trainer and trainee, both deceased. Hit a concrete overpass abutment (bridge support) at highway speed. Abutment didn't move.

At my final employer before retiring, I trained a ex P.A.M. driver; his first trucking job. He drove the truck home and parked it, telling them to come and get it. Stated they were horrible to work for LOL!!! Older fellow, older than me, meaning he's well beyond retirement age - he's still there last I heard. Never drove a manual before he came to work for us.

Everytime we came across a 'down and out' PAM driver on the road (often) he would tell'em what a great place it was to work for and it was their own fault for not making any money, going hungry and unable to take a shower. He became the #1 shill at my final employer nearly overnight, and that's no small feat!

Ultimately, this thread is about a tragedy in Illinois. Trainee drowned in the sleeper while the trainer got out of the truck and drowned - sad. RIP drivers.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  6. Zer0chick

Zer0chick Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2018
    USA

Yes it’s certainly not the best company to work for. The training at school left a lot to be desired, all my classmates upon graduating went to mentors & not one of us knew how to downshift. All the trainers were disgusted. We all (I think) learned within a few days, trained 2 weeks then got put in automatics where I fear we’ll all forget again!!
    This company pays our tuition and gets our 1 year experience in. My co driver and I jokingly say PAM stands for poverty & malnourishment because. Well, I’m making 15 cpm... can’t wait for my year to be complete so I can move on to a better company with my experience & tuition out of the way.

About my friend who drowned, this company accepted no responsibility simply stating he wasn’t hired yet because he was still with the mentor. Meanwhile his mother is in debt from burying him and can not afford a headstone. Nothing of his was returned to her, & nobody has called her aside from the coroner.

It’s a sad situation.

25(2)+2, Bud A. and tucker Thank this.
  7. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    WTF??15 cpm???Not even Western Express is that bad!You’re basically working for free at that point!

Bud A., DTP and Zer0chick Thank this.
  8. Zer0chick

Zer0chick Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2018
    USA
    I’m supposed to get a raise at 3 months of 2 cpm. But apparently the first 2 months don’t count. So, in another month I may possibly get at 2 cpm raise. & with my hazmat I’ll get an additional 1 cpm on hazmat loads.

9. Criminey Jade

Criminey Jade Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Not Colorado Anymore
    Good gravy. o_O

This is why I will never suggest someone enroll in a company train-to-hire program. You can't live on 15 CPM. Even if you're a genius with ramen and dumpster diving, that's not living pay. I hope you can get out of this and into a vastly better income situation.

Bud A., Zer0chick and mjd4277 Thank this.
  10. Slowpoke KW

Slowpoke KW Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2015
    OK
    She said she has a co driver so that 15cpm is for all miles the truck runs equivalent to 30cpm solo. Yes PAM is definitely a starter company.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.