PAM transport student

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by metal729, Sep 28, 2019.

1. metal729

metal729 Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2019
    I've in my 5th month now with Pam. Started out in their school. Everything looked rosy until I started signing the contract at the school. I knew it was a ####ty deal but I didn't have a lot of options at the time.

Cpm is .35 but as a student solo driver they give you the worst loads. Average load mileage is around 300 I would say. I remember one load they gave me was 20 miles but was actually 50 miles so after an hour driving and three hours getting unloaded I made a whopping $7.. and that pretty much sums Pam up. Penny A Mile.

The first three months they give you a $500 week guarantee which is nice because you never hit that mark. After taxes and deductions you get $350 take home pay.

After the three months though... it sucks.. you don't make enough to live on.

The truck they gave me had 330k on it. It's been having a weird electrical issue where the 4 way flashers and auto start button stop working. The Qualcomm keeps randomly restarting itself as well.

I explained the problem to the mechanics as best I could and they replaced a breaker they said but the problem keeps coming back. So far I've put it in two company shops and a dealership and none of them can figure out what's going on with it. Oddly enough the company shops were actually better than the dealership.. the dealer said they fixed it but when I went to check it still wasn't working

They promised me a hotel room while truck was in shop but after taking Uber to go check in I had to pay out of pocket, $138 which I am still fighting with them to refund me.

It's the 28th right now and I've been stuck here in Charlotte, NC since the 21st with no loads. That's 7+ days now i am not making any money. I'm not sure I can even pay the bills like this anymore.

Right now my plan is to take home time and then stop working until they reimburse me. If I don't finish the 1 year contract I owe them $6000. What should I do?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    If you got 6000 dollars, pay them and haul boogie. I am guessing that you dont have 6000 dollars. Its nothing wrong with that. You have made it 5 months. That's plenty of time to turn things around. You need to talk with your driver manager about getting more miles. Say, "Hey, I wanna run. I am willing to stay out a while. Whatever it takes I am willing to do." Also lets think about this logically. How sensible to take hometime over the money owed for a motel? Once your truck gets fixed you can get rolling but sitting at home for $138, I dont understand that.

4. GoneButNotForgotten

GoneButNotForgotten Heavy Load Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Roxboro, N.C.
    I suspect there is something else going on. PAM should have no trouble getting a load in the Charlotte area.

Western flyer and bryan21384 Thank this.
  5. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The Carolinas should have a thousand loads. Greenville comes to mind, they build fighters there among other things.

You aint making enough to live on at .35 there is nothing student about being solo.

Pay the 6000 and break the contract and forget anything else from PAM. You have your CDL. .35 a mile was 40 years ago.

Puppage Thanks this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    You just need to sell your house, your car, and live in the truck. :rolleyes:

FlaSwampRat and buddyd157 Thank this.
  8. BR-549

BR-549 Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Thailand x Louisiana
    Met two ex-Pam drivers at the drug test clinic about a month ago. They were testing for a local carrier in my hometown. The recruiter outside waiting on them told me enough of their situation to convince me that my decision to goto a private school was a good one.

Hope everything works out for you OP.

FYI- From what I’ve read on another trucker forum regarding their tuition repayment setup if you leave, Drivers Solution should be able to setup an payment plan for you. Might be worth looking into to get outta there.

Texas_hwy_287, Lonesome and plankton Thank this.
  9. Voodoo Pyg

Voodoo Pyg Oink! Oink!

Jan 25, 2015
    Texas
    You're probably in the same boat I was in when I started about four years ago. I went through the Stevens Training Academy as I didn't have the money to head to my local training school and couldn't get student loans. No one bothered to tell me about the vocational assistance from my workforce either. Cut to April of 2015 and I was terminated for wrecking. Of course they didn't set up a payment arrangement but instead sent it off to collections where they upped it from $6,000 to well over $8000. I still owe to this day as I deal with the original creditors when it comes to paying the money I owe. Well enough of my personal life story. I'll go down yours.

They'll tell you that you'll get .35 cpm and all of that jazz. Did they tell you how much of your pay they would deduct for the schooling during your employment among other taxes? Did you use a cash advance (Another way they get you)? Trust me I'm not taking up for them. I just know many of the tricks and sneaky #### they do to the new guys. As far as the short loads, they do that to test you but if they're actually doing that after 3 months, that leaves me scratching the ol' noggin. I got my first huge load at Stevens two weeks solo which was Nebraska to New York (No fun).

Being on breakdown sucks. Those dealerships aren't really trying. They'll sometimes tell the company a bunch of crap just to sap them of more and more money and keep the truck longer. Does PAM do breakdown pay? If so, after how many days? You paid for a hotel room out of pocket and they refused to reimburse you? That's not unheard of either. Did you fax them in a receipt? You have no need of a trip sheet if you know the company code when you transflo. I would've emailed it to my DM who could also forward it to the proper department.

Seven plus days without a load? Now I would be #####ing them all the hell out. I wouldn't have gave a #### if I had to deadhead somewhere (especially if they pay empty miles) and they wouldn't hear the last of it until I had something across that Qualcomm.

Lastly, about your plan. I wouldn't exactly do that. I would see what other company would take you with what you have. Then you return the truck, clean of course, and make sure you take pictures. Then make sure you have a way to your new orientation if your new company takes you . Then keep an eye on your DAC report. As my mother would say: "Never let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  10. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Heck that truck isnt even broke in yet with 330k miles.

I would tough it out for 7 more months. Get a years experience under your belt and bounce to another company. $6,000 is a lot of money to fork over to them for not fulfilling your end of the contract.

FlaSwampRat and Voodoo Pyg Thank this.
  11. Voodoo Pyg

Voodoo Pyg Oink! Oink!

Jan 25, 2015
    Texas
    You said it. My first truck at my company had 250,000 miles on it with my newest with 249 miles.

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.