pam transport

Discussion in 'PAM' started by markr, May 9, 2008.

1. jwayner

jwayner Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Leitchfield, KY
    I'm not tryin to make this all about gay fairness or anything but when I applied for PAM their website said they don't allow discrimination of sexual orientation. I would rather just keep it all to myself but I believe being so close to someone in a truck for 4 weeks or more it would be kinda hard for the trainer not to figure it out. Do you think I should just tell my recruiter to set me up with an open minded trainer or what should I do?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nvr2L8

Nvr2L8 Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Cave Springs, AR
    Jwayner, if it were me I would not draw attention to that fact by any outward act. This isn't legal advice, just common sense. Your recruiter won't have any control or say in who your trainer is anyway. From what I've read, if you are having problems with a trainer in the field you can request another.

4. jwayner

jwayner Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Leitchfield, KY
    Looks like my application got approved but now my recruiter says I have to call back in a few weeks to see if a trainer is available.... this blows.

5. Greenacres0802

Greenacres0802 Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Wysox, PA
    I'll buy you a cup of coffee when we meet up. :)

Any tips on getting through training?

Oh, I remember what I wanted to ask: can you tell me what is the basic configuration of the truck? What I mean is, what amenities are included (frig, cb, gps, microwave, etc) and what does the driver need to supply himself. Also, what are we allowed to bring or install?

I will surely hit you up for that coffee, but it has to be at a pilot because they have the best! :biggrin_25525:

As far as training, I took the packing list from USA Truck. it was about spot on for what I needed. I took my ipod and a couple of creature comforts. as for in cab goodies, I guess it depends on the trainer. Mine had Sirius satelite, I asked if I could bring my XM since I am into Baseball. He was cool with that. He had the basics, no Micro though. He hates GPS so there was not one of them either. The layout of the cab is a bunk bed system. Make sure you bring bedding material or a sleeping bag. He said he had one student that showed up with a pillow and a sheet and that was it. He hooked me up with a cabinet for storage. Make sure you have enough cash to get you through the week till your check hits. I too had the fear of getting a sloppy stinky lazy trainer. I got an awesome one. The best advice I can give is to listen to his instructions and be safe. Oh yeah, If you get tired :biggrin_25518:let him know. They are only going to run you as fast as you can keep up. You do have a requirement to do at least 140 hours driving within the 4-6 week period. So if you get the opportunity to drive, take it.

6. EbonSaint

EbonSaint Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Ortonville, Michigan
    I'll respond to this by saying that it's one thing to "have a job". It's something completely different when you're only getting run 2300-2500 miles a week as a team at .17 a mile. Add in a 5% cut on top of that and you get a little more skimmed off the top - and they continue to hire student drivers.

:biggrin_25510:

7. channel 19

channel 19 Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2009
    michigan
    where is ortonville i live along us 23 corridor ann arbor -ottwa lake

8. Nvr2L8

Nvr2L8 Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Cave Springs, AR
    I'm confused. I know in training with PAM you run team with your trainer, and you get paid $300/week. But after that it's .25/mile (less the 5% cut). So I'm confused about the .17/mile.:biggrin_2554:

9. jwayner

jwayner Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Leitchfield, KY
    Thats .17 split. They're a team so they make .34 cents a mile and it gets split.

10. Nvr2L8

Nvr2L8 Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Cave Springs, AR
    That's what I'm confused about. PAM (from my understanding) doesn't run team except during training and the trainee gets paid a straight $300/week during this time, not mileage. Then, after getting your own truck and going solo you start at .25/mile, less the current 5% cut.

11. EbonSaint

EbonSaint Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Ortonville, Michigan
    PAM, PDS, AFS, CEX and Decker are all under the same company: PAM Transport. Solo's run at .25 a mile, which is a .03 drop from when I was in school a year ago.

PAM Transport controls most of the sub-company boards, and PDS is the 'team' division of the company. We haul mainly automotive and I'm only a week away from leaving to go with another company. After looking at my paycheck - 3208 miles last week and seeing that they took 28.00 bucks away before the taxes...I won't slave to a company that can't keep me moving enough to pay my bills.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.